Can we support Collaborator-JIRA Integration without creating an additional JIRA user?

Elicia Syson March 14, 2018

Why does admin get Browse Project Permission error when admin has this permission? We are using JIRA 7.7.

Our user 'admin' is a member of Jira-system-administrators.

Project permission schemes for all projects granted Browse Projects to group Jira-system-administrators. All Projects are Software projects.

Yet when user admin selects "Projects", on main page and chooses "Software", admin gets a Browse Project Permission Error, "You don't have the 'Browse Projects' permission..."

For us 'admin' can view anything, and should be able to create issues too, but cannot. What are we doing wrong?

Lots of failures when choosing issues assigned to me when logged in as admin, and cannot view or create any issues either.

The real goal here was to allow Collaborator to create/view issues without having to create a generic JIRA user.  I was hoping to enable JIRA users to create Collaborator reviews and Collaborator reviewers to create JIRA issues, and/or transition JIRA issues as per their workflow. We have a limited number of licenses, and I hate using a license to create an integration user in JIRA, but presently I see no other viable alternative.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2018

I strongly recommend you use the Jira Admin Helper to figure out the permissions needed here.  This utility built into Jira will allow you to enter a permission, issue, and sometimes username and then see if they have permission or not. 

Even if this utility confirms that you do not have permission to do the task you need, the utility provides you a link and explains in more detail how to fix it.

I suspect that what has happened here is that the permissions scheme in use by these projects is not actually granting the browse permission to this user.  But the permission helper will tell us more about this.

Also, if they are an Admin, they might not be able to see the projects by going to the Projects -> View all projects.  But as an admin, you can still see the projects if you go to the Gear/Cog Icon in the top right of the page -> Projects.  This menu is not available to non-admins.  But as an Admin you should be able to correct the permissions here.

Elicia Syson March 16, 2018

I cannot even get to the screen to be able to view or create an issue. I get the following error.

Field 'assignee' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.
    Field 'resolution' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.
    Not able to sort using field 'priority'.

Without being able to view any issues, I cannot use the Jira Admin Helper.

I am logged in. I do not have any Filters (at least that I am aware of)

• Favorite Filters You have no favorite filters.
  • My Filters You have no filters.
  • Popular Filters There are no filters in the system that you can view.
  • Search Filters You do not have permission to browse any projects.

Notice I do not have browse permission.

You don't have the 'Browse Projects' permission, which allows you to view a project and its issues.

You can edit the permission on the project's permission scheme.

Yet this is what is shown in the Project permissions:

Browse Projects

Ability to browse projects and the issues within them.
 Project Role
    Users
    Administrators
Group
    jira-administrators
    jira-system-administrators
Group
    Anyone

So what is blocking the Browse Permission? How do I find out if I cannot view a single issue?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2018

Without being able to view any issues, I cannot use the Jira Admin Helper.

Actually, that is not true if you are a Jira admin.   As a Jira admin you can still use this utility in the system administration menu.   Go to the Gear Icon -> System.  On the left sidebar menu there is a link to Permission helper.  The URL will be your Jira site + /secure/admin/PermissionHelperAdmin.jspa

On this page you can select the user, and issue, and a permission to check.  I suggest picking any issue in the project you want to browse. 

phelper.png

Please try this. 

Elicia Syson March 16, 2018

I just tried the +/secure/admin/PermissionHelperAdmin.jspa and got to the Permission helper, but there is 'No Matches' for User admin when I am logged in as admin. So I tried logging in as myself, and as myself, using the same approach, and I could see User Admin, and the admin's permissions for a known issue, showed: Status:admin has all the Project Permissions, except View Development Tools, and for the Issue Permissions, only has permission to Create Issues and Delete Issues.

So I tried browsing as admin directly to a known issue, +/browse/<known-issue>, but admin cannot, Error: The issue you're trying to view can't be displayed. It may have been deleted or you don't have permission to view it right now. The issue is there, I can view it. So must be some permission issue still. Wonder which one. I suppose I could give admin permission to do everything, but I think our admin really should not have all those permissions. I was hoping for minimal duties for admin.

Also, thank you for taking the time to help.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2018

Just because this user has create and delete issue permissions, does not grant them access to be able to actually see the issues in the project.

Did you test the user for the "Browse Project" permission?

If the user has the browse project permission for this project, but still cannot see the issue in that project (when trying to browse to it directly), then I think it's safe to say that permissions are not actually the problem here.

Instead your Jira instance could have been configured to use Issue level security.  If this is the case, then you need to look more closely at the security levels that are in use for that project.   It is possible that the permission scheme is setup to grant the user access to browse the project, but that all the issues in the project might be set to a security level that this specific user does not have.

Suggest an answer