Can Jira limit assignees to a subset based on a cascading custom field value?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2019

I have a client that is moving from another system to Jira.  In this system they are able to select from a small subset of assignees based on a cascading field, like group A, sub group B. 

So Custom Field, maybe 2 level cascade, maybe more.  The final node determines who should appear in assignee to choose from.

Any ideas?

2 answers

0 votes
fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2019

Not easy...

A workaround could be creating a new user picker type custom fied. You could control the data you show there with behaviors or directly in the field configuration with user filters.

then, in a postfunction of the creation transition you can copy the value from that field to assignee

0 votes
jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2019

It's not possible to show subset of user but possible to select only subset of users as assignee. You can just update the permission scheme and change the assignable user to only these subset of users

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2019

I appreciate the answer but that's not what I was looking for, unfortunately.  The list of potential assignees for this project is massive.  My client needs the functionality from their previous system that only shows a subset of users specific to the functional group the assignees belong to.

Suggest an answer