Can I install JIRA,Stash & confluence in a same Azure VM (1.75GB RAM, 1 core)?

ameenrashad October 10, 2014

We are a startup, have 6 team members now.  Right now we are using GitLab for the repo management and ASANA for project management. I would like to try if its possible to use atlassian alternatives instead, to integrate both processes. 

I was trying to install JIRA,Stash & confluence in the same server. But its showing some issue. Can anyone please advice its viability ?

Hardware Used : Windows Azure VM  (1.75GB RAM, 1 core)

Operating System : CentOS. 

2 answers

0 votes
alexlwilson July 29, 2015

Late to the party, but my experience is that CPU is even more critical than RAM for Azure instances. 1 core will quickly become overwhelmed. I'm not familiar with Stash, but I would use at least an A2. But, you can always upgrade your VM to a more powerful instance, or downgrade if it is being under utilized. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2014

Well, you can install them, but 1.75Gb RAM is woefully inadequate if you want them to run at the same time.

I'd be aiming to provide them all with at least .5Gb RAM, and probably more, which would leave you only .25Gb for the operating system.  It's going to struggle with that.  Also, you probably want to look at the underlying hardware - are the disks local and fast?  You need the indexes on fast disks and the ones usually attached to VMs rarely cut it.

ameenrashad October 10, 2014

I am not much familiar with server installations. Can you help me with some tutorial or so for doing the same? Also, is it necessary to have a .5GB ram for each process? will 0.35 work? how it will effect the performance?, as I have mentioned we are a small team with 6 members, so usage won't be more than 6 at a time. or should I continue to use GitLab with JIRA plugin which is also installed in the same VM? what do you suggest?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2014

You might get away with .35Gb for each, but I'd still recommend getting more memory on the box. You'll find long page loads, timeouts on the more complex functions and so-on if you run with too little memory (and there's very little chance of adding any of the "big" plugins in Jira like Service Desk or Agile with only .35 Gb)

Suggest an answer