Can I compare two tickets for same issue but created in different project

asingh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 2, 2021

Suppose we have an Incident and Incident management team and change management team created a ticket for the same issue in their project. How I can compare both the tickets in order to check if both tickets have similar information. (Information in some common field which both the project boards have)

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2021

Hi @asingh

just for a better understanding - will the values in the field you are looking for be known before and somewhat "static" or do they differ from time to time?

For example, I seem to have understood you have a project for incident management and change management. Assuming further you have a custom field called "customer" which is available to both projects.

Now you want to query for issues where the customer is "johndoe Corp" - is this correct?
Having this value set in the custom field for customer in both projects you could query by:

customer = "johndoe Corp"

Or is your requirement to programmatically query for ANY value that is in at least one issue in change projects AND same time at least in one issue of problem management?
If so, are these values known and can be entered by you or is an automated approach needed?

Regards,
Daniel

asingh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 9, 2021

Yes, that is the correct assumption. Like i have a custom field named Customer in both the projects. Now I want to ccompare both the project if thay have entered same name or different name. I know i can download report in Excel and can compare. But i want to do it through a automated script. This script will compare both the custom fields and will show me only those tickts which has different information in same type of custom field 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2021

Thanks for clarification, @asingh
I see nothing that would speak against doing so using a script :)
The approach will depend on if you are planning to execute a script from within Jira or from the outside.

From within Jira Apps that support scripting (like ScriptRunner) are something that is often used, from the "outside" you could familiarize with the REST API. The REST API access comes with no additional costs if this should be a relevant criteria.

0 votes
Sadeesh Narendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2021

@asingh If you have Jira Automation. You can create an automation to compare two tickets (you can compare multiple fields by using multiple loop) and you can edit a Custom field (your choice) and add comments if it passes the condition "All values are same" if true, "There is difference" if false.

While checking condition there should be some field which should be unique to fetch and compare two issues from two different projects. 

Using project smart values - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-projects/

Jira Project Automation - https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation#creating-a-rule

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

Hi @asingh ,

Since there is not out-of-the-box functionality to compare two tickets, I would do the following:

• search for these two specific issues in advanced search
    • select to appear all columns I want to cross check or
    • export these two results with ALL fields on xlsx, and then perform my crosscheck there

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need anything more :)

Alex

Sadeesh Narendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2021

Yes possible!

Suggest an answer