Calculation of Percentage in Jira Structure

Tristen John Bagain September 15, 2022

Hi,

I need to understand the math behind the calculation in Jira Structure at parent level.

On the sample below I need to know formula used to determine 66% at parent ticket level. I included screenshots on how the Progress by Percentage was configured.

Hope to hear from your team soon!

The percentage with purple icon is the parent ticket

The percentage with the green icon are the child tickets

Sample1.PNGSample3.PNG

Sample2.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 16, 2022

Hello @Tristen John Bagain ,

David from ALM Works here.  Welcome to the Community!!

I see from your screenshots that your progress is weighted by story points.  In this case, the total progress is going to be the sum of individual issue Progress (P) multiplied by individual issue Story Points (SP) and then divided by the sum of the story points.

∑(SP*P)/∑SP

Please let me know if this helps!

Best,
David

Tristen John Bagain September 18, 2022

Thanks, David for the feedback. Can you share how it is computed manually? I tried the formula you gave but I can't get the 66% completion progress on the original screenshot I shared

Sample4.PNG

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 19, 2022

You are very welcome!  I see two things that are happening here.

The first is the 20% should be 30%, making the SUM of your Progress 950%.

The second is how undefined values are handled.  If an issue has an undefined value (blank) in the field you are considering for weight, the progress calculation will assume a value for it.  

The assumed value is the average of the values from the issues that do have one defined.  In this case the average is 4.69.  If you want the weight of the issue to be 0, you will need to enter 0.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 12.10.05 PM.png

Please let me know if this helps!

Best,
David

Tristen John Bagain September 19, 2022

Thanks, David. Is the above algorithm true for all other fields that will used for "Weight" (other than "All Sub-Issues are Equal")? 

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
September 20, 2022

Yes, it is true for all other fields used for weight.  It is a weighted average calculation which is:

∑(WF*V)/∑WF

Where WF is your your Weight Factor (here story points) and V is your Value (here progress).  The only things that would change would be what you define as your Weight Factor or Value, latter of which can be Resolution Only or Custom Percent Field in addition to Status.

Best,
David

Like # people like this
Tristen John Bagain September 20, 2022

@David Niro  Were good now!.

Tristen John Bagain September 20, 2022

One last thing @David Niro is there like repository page where we can see all algorithm for % Progress calculation based on what Value and Weight Factor was used?

Sorry I said in my previous comment that i'm good :P

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
September 21, 2022

No apology is necessary!

We have documentation related to Progress Column that can be found here.

Best,
David

0 votes
Javier Tejero
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 7, 2024

I am trying to understand using this question what is happening on my Structure.

It looks as the picture below, where the right column is the Progress (Rendimiento) based on Status with Weight based on Story Points (the SP are shown on the left column, 3 for the first child issue and 1 for the second). 

However for the Parent issue the progress show 88% (average of 76% and 100%) while it should be 82% (76%*3=228 ; 100%*1 = 100%; 228+100 =328: 328/4 = 82%) if the first one is weighted 3 and the second one is weighted 1.

Captura.PNG

Any idea for the reason to do the average even if the SP are defined for the 2 issues (and the flag "Ignore Parent Issue Progress" is on)

Thanks in advance

Stepan Kholodov _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2024

Hello @Javier Tejero 

The DIFI Epic is also a parent, and its progress comes from the progress of its sub-issues. When it comes to calculating the progress of Ejecutamos issue, the progress and Story Points of sub-issues is being considered, i.e. the values of SOLUCI... issue and the values of sub-issues of DIFI.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, please reach out to us directly at our support portal.

Best regards,
Stepan
Tempo (the Structure app vendor)

Suggest an answer