CSV upload - Issue Links

Deleted user February 20, 2020

Hello,

I would like to upload via a CSV file a task (Type = Story) that includes an Issue Links of "has to be done after" and "has to be started together with" but in the process of uploading the CSV file, in the "Map fields" section, I don't know what select for these options:

Issue Links.PNG

Example how "has to be done after" looks like in a task:

has to be done after.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2020

Hi,

I understand that you want to be able to import a CSV file into Jira that contains link issue data.  I would recommend reading our KB In Import issue links from a CSV File in Jira server.

In order for this to work, you need to setup your CSV file to have columns that will relate to the directional link type (examples such as causes and "is caused by" as different directional link type of the same link).  Within those columns, you need to either use the Jira issue key (ABC-432) or the Issue ID value to refer to which issue this is being linked to. 

Once your CSV file is setup that way, you can then map the directional link type column name to that corresponding "Link 'has to be done after'" and then the importer in Jira will be able to create the correct link type to the correct issue.

Try that and let me know if you run into problems getting this to work as expected.

Andy

Deleted user February 24, 2020

Thank you @Andy Heinzer . it worked!

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
Casey-Lea Olson March 12, 2020

What about exporting a list of stories with links, I can get the story number to show under linked issues but it doesn't tell me what type of link it is

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2020

Hi @Casey-Lea Olson 

It might be best to create a separate question for this, as it feels like a tangent to the original question about importing. 

That said, although Jira's issue navigator does not show you what the linktype is in the search results page, when you do a CSV export of All Fields of that data on that page, the CSV file does have separate columns for each link type possible.  So if you're looking at the CSV file created by an export of Jira issues, you should be able to see this information there.

I hope that helps.

Andy

Wouter Bruinings
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2022

Hi @Andy Heinzer

We have been trying to link inward links of a type, but it seems like CSV import will always pick the outward direction. 

When we execute the import, the wizard let's us select different link types, but there is no way to set the direction.

Could you confirm it's only possible to use the outward link type?

KR,
Wouter

Don McCarty
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 6, 2023
I realize this is old but I'm also having the same problem.
I'm able to import into a "has to be done before" link.
However, I do not have the option to specify Inward to also create "has to be done after".

I've named my columns exactly as they are named in the exports as "Inward issue link (Gantt End to Start)" and "Outward issue link (Gantt End to Start)".
This has no impact as the mapping is only to "Link 'Gantt End to Start'".

How do we create a 'has to be done before' link durin an import?
Heinrich Graupner April 8, 2024

We have the same problem, @Don McCarty did you find a solution?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events