Hi,

I have done the following in sequence:

1. Created user stories

2. Added points to the 'Story point' field for each user story

3. Added some of these stories to a bucket

4. Started the sprint

5. Moved stories to Done in the active sprint board

6. Completed the sprint

In my 'Settings', the estimation statistic is 'Story Points' and the Time Tracking is set to 'None'.

In spite of this, I'm still unable to view the Burn up chart. It says "This chart cannot be displayed. There are no estimated issues in this sprint." And my Burn down chart does not reflect any story points either.

How do I fix this?

burndown.png

burnup.png

2 answers

0 votes
Robert YK July 27, 2021

Please note that the reports like Burndown and Burnup are in the context of a certain Board not Project.

It's unclear to me however how the actual Board is resolved... It doesn't seem to be the Board in which the Sprint was defined...

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2020

Hello @Jovita Mathias

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Per your description, it seems the process to estimate and track your issues with Story points is correct, so I believe it must be a problem between the Story points field and the reports.

Please, check the steps and questions below to properly troubleshoot the problem:

1 - Are you using a Next-gen or a Classic project?

2 - Make sure you are using the default Story points field to add your Story points, and not a custom field created posteriorly. To check that:

1. Navigate to Jira settings > Issues > Custom fields
  2. Search for the Story Points field, confirming if it has the same description and details of the screenshot below, also checking if there are any other fields with the same name:
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 20.08.14.png

3 - Is the problem happening in other projects too?

Let us know if you have any questions.

Jovita Mathias June 2, 2020

Hi @Petter Gonçalves !

Thank you so much for taking some time out to help me with this.

To answer your questions:

1. I'm using a classic project

2. Yes, I'm using the default story points field

3. Currently, I'm just exploring so I haven't tried other projects yet

Also, since I'm just exploring, I had set the sprint duration to an hour. Is it possible that I'm facing this issue because of that?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2020

Hello @Jovita Mathias

Thank you for the details provided.

That's a really weird problem... In my test instance, I followed the exact same steps as you and added a Sprint with 1 hour of duration, however, the Story points incrementing/decrementing are properly displayed in the Burndown chart report:

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 15.08.49.png

I suggest you check the following steps:

1. The burndown chart does not consider the estimation of Sub-tasks and Epic issues. That being said, please confirm if the issues you are using are not using these issue types
  2. Check if the problem is happening in different projects
  3. Doublecheck if your estimation under the board settings is correctly configured for Story points
  4. Log off and log back in Jira, using a different browser in incognito mode to make sure you are not pacing a cache problem

Let us know your results.

Saurabh Soni June 11, 2020

Hello @Jovita Mathias @Petter Gonçalves ,

This seems to be an issue, though I have identified a workaround for now!

Follow, the following steps: 

1. Navigate to the Burnup chart, select the sprint and you will get the message (screenshot shared by @Jovita Mathias as above.)

2. Now, to get going... change the selection 'Story Points' to 'Original Time Estimate', you will see the chart populated, now, change the selection again to 'Story Points' and you are sorted :)

Like # people like this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
June 12, 2020

Hello @Saurabh Soni

Can you confirm if you were using Jira Server or Cloud?

The problem you were facing seems to be caused by a failing re-index, which is usually caused in the server application.

@Jovita Mathias is using a cloud environment, so the re-index happens automatically after the change of estimation. 

Please, confirm your platform (Server or Cloud) so we can further investigate the issue.

Like Avinash Gajula likes this
Saurabh Soni June 12, 2020

Hi @Petter Gonçalves

I am using Jira Cloud. Please let me know if any further information is required.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
June 22, 2020

Thank you for the information @Saurabh Soni

After further investigation, I was not able to reproduce the problem on my test site or find any other related report about the behavior mentioned, so I could not test the steps provided and confirm if it fixed the problem.

@Jovita Mathias, can you please confirm if you are still facing this issue and if the steps provided by @Saurabh Soni helped you?

Jovita Mathias June 26, 2020

Hi @Petter Gonçalves !

I was actually using a trail version which has now expired so I'm unable to check.

Joseph Money July 21, 2021

Hey all,

I discovered a bug in Jira Cloud that can cause the above problem.

Scenario: 4 subtasks were converted into stories and given story  points. Before pressing start sprint the number of story points was totalling the expected figure. 

After starting the sprint it was noticed on the burn down chart that the story point total now said a much lower number. It was realised that the ones not contributing to the burn down or burn up charts were the stories that were converted from subtasks. 

Even during the sprint, signing one of these off did not affect the burndown chart.

Kind regards,

Joe

Like DARIAKOSHMANOVA likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events