Blocking off access to a project

Khuram Hussain
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 21, 2018

How do I create a project which no one can access except myself?

We have multiple admins on the system and it seems that if you are admin you can access any of the projects. I can organize it in a such a way that I am super admin as all the other folks don't need access to all the projects in fact they should only be admin on those projects and should not be able to see some.

3 answers

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2018

Hi  @Khuram Hussain,

You can restrict the access of other users through the permission scheme configuration. For example, we can control each project administrator to only see their own projects.

As far as I know, the system administrator has the right to modify the permission scheme. In this part, there is no way to strictly restrict the permissions. If many users have the rights of the system administrator, even if they cannot access your project at first, they pass Modify permission scheme can also achieve access.

0 votes
KellyW
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2018

Hi Khuram,

We can restrict the access to project via the 'Browse Projects' permission so only the admissible users can see and access the project.permission.png

For more context, check out Managing project permissions.

Regards,
Kelly

0 votes
Amirul Ikhwan Omar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2018

Hi Khuram,

One thing that you can do is to separate the permission between two groups:

1. Create a group (jira-admin) and (jira-super-admin).
  2. Add jira-super-admin to the browse project permission for each project.
  3. Add jira-admin group to a specific project that they need access to.

If you want to create a project where only you can see, only giving you permission to browse the project by adding a single user to it.

Khuram Hussain
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 22, 2018

Which one of these is the super admin?

site-admins

jira-administrators

administrators

Amirul Ikhwan Omar
Atlassian Team
October 23, 2018

In JIRA Server, there are Jira System Admin which can perform all administration functions and Jira Administrators that only can perform some of the administration function  (excluding Import & Export, SMTP Configuration, etc.).

The easiest way to check is to go to Administrator > System > Security > Global permissions and see if the groups above belongs to Jira System Administrators or Jira Administrator.

Global Permissions - Jira 7.12.1 - Google Chrome 2018-10-24 09.35.21.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events