Block task with other task

Massimiliano Calicchio March 12, 2021

How can I make sure that a task is blocked by another task, and that I can modify the blocked task only when the blocker has completed? or maybe only when the expiration date of the blocker has passed?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2021

Hello Massimiliano,

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand you would like to prevent an issue from being transitioned while another "blocker issue(s)" is still not completed. Is that correct?

You can achieve that by adding the "Blocker issue" as a sub-task of the blocked issue, then using the "Sub-Task Blocking Condition" to prevent it from transitioning. These would be the steps:

1. Navigate to your project > Project settings > Workflows
  2. Click to edit your workflow(s)
  3. For each transition in your workflow, add the "Sub-Task Blocking Condition", only allowing the issue to be transitioned when the sub-tasks are properly completed
  4. Save your workflow draft

You can find more details on how to do that in the documentation below:

Configure advanced issue workflows 

Unfortunately, we don't have today a similar condition that works in the same way for linked issues (Blocks, blocked by, etc), but we a feature request to consider the implementation of this functionality in the future:

Ability to prevent closing an issue if all linked "is blocked by" issues are not closed 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let us know if this information helps.

Henry Burkhardt July 5, 2021

It is indeed very unfortunate that there is no condition that works in the same way for linked issues. What sense does it make to mark an issue as "Blocked by", if this block is not expressed through any logic by the system? Meaning that the task is prevented from being but into "Done". The "Sub-Task Blocking Condition" is not doing the job here. A similar Transition Condition for linked issues would help a lot.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer