Bigpicture: relation between board and gantt

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

I really like the Gantt chart in BigPicture (or the BigGantt plugin) but I have always wondered how to use the board view together with te Gantt view.

When placing a Jira issue in an program increment on the board it does not move on the gantt chart.

Example: I have a ticket ABC-123. I placed it in a program increment which has a start date on 2020-11-12 and end date 2021-01-13.
However ABC-123 has not moved on the gantt. It start date still is 2021-02-14.

1. Is this the expected behavior?
  2. If so, how should we deal with planning? Moving items around in the board view is a first high level planning step.
    While fine tuning on the gantt or resources page is our second step. We don't want to check the board every time we move something on the gantt.
    Am I not understanding the purpose of the board correctly?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 20, 2020

Hello @Charlie Misonne

To activate synchronization between Board and Gantt, you must enable Task Period alignment. Here you have 2 options available so that you can adjust task alignment to your actual business needs. Both settings are recommended for agile and non-agile teams who want to use BigPicture as a Roadmap tool and present their plans using the Gantt module.

Precise alignment means that a task's period will align exactly with the box's period. The fields mapped as start and end dates will get updated to match the boxes' start and end dates when a task is planned in one of the time boxes. 

image (40).png

While Smart adjustment,  a task's period will align to the start or end date of the Box without changing the task's duration (if possible). The fields mapped as start and end dates will get updated when a task is planned in one of the Sprint, such that the task will start on the start date of the Sprint or end on the end date of the Sprint.

image (41).png

Regardless of the selected alignment type, transferring a task to another sprint will always be reflected on the Gantt chart. 

image (42).png 

If you have further questions, please let me know. 

Best,

Anna
SoftwarePlant Support

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2020

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I found that part in the meantime but I did not pay attention to the different modes.

cheers

Charlie

Like # people like this
0 votes
Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2020

Have you refreshed the screen ... other one I've done is the powerup remembers the stuff, so you can unload the power up, put another in for a while, then reload and it remembers association.

I use AGEING power up normally, but BIG PICTURE occasionally, and just swap between them both.

Give it a try, or maybe copy the board first and do in a copy.

0 votes
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2020

Apparently I missed the task period alignment configuration.

Any feedback or experiences with this are still welcome :-)

2020-09-17 12_48_03-BigPicture - Jira Realdolmen Demo.png

Suggest an answer