Best way to reference other ticket-systems?

Hello! Though, like most enterprises, wy try to have a single issue-tracker, we aren't there yet... And some tickets need to reference tickets in other ticketing systems we use (maintained by ourselves or even by outside vendors).

What is the best way to store such references in Jira? Do we create custom-fields for each one or is there a better way?

Also, while we plan to store just the ticket ID (such as 0001 or FOO-0AFF), we'd like Jira to render them on the ticket's screen as a proper link with the href being http://bugzilla.vendor1.example.com/bug0001</strong<>> or https://jira.vendor2.example.com/jira/FOO-0AFF</strong<>> . Is there a reasonably easy way to provide such a template for each custom field as well?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

Seems like creating "Web Links" (stored in the database in table named "remotelink") is the way to do this cheaply -- without coding a custom field type.

Now, if only I could figure out, how to generate the proper JSON to have these remote links automatically created :-(

0 vote
Joe Wai Tye Atlassian Team Sep 05, 2013

Hi Mikhail,

The only way that I can think of would be to create issue links from your JIRA to an external URL (which in this case is your alternate issue tracker). You can of course specify both the URL as well as the link text that appears.

I would recommend that you have a look at this documentation for the full details and instructions - Linking Issues

But there is more in a datum "VENDOR1BUG Foo" than a link to the bug-description... And there is even a small chance, the actual URL may change some day... So we thought of using custom fields. For example:

• VENDOR1TICKETS: 0012, 1031
  • VENDOR2TICKETS: FOO-001, FOO-002, BAR-107

Is there a way to make contents of a particular custom field to render as a link, however? Thanks!

Joe Wai Tye Atlassian Team Sep 05, 2013

So your requirements would be for them to be dynamic links, I presume? As in, when the URL of the issue changes, the URL of the link would change as well?

Yes, ideally, when the URL for tickets of an external issue-tracker BAR changes, we'd like to be able to update a template somewhere once and have Jira begin generating the links following the new URL-scheme for all tickets -- old and new alike.

It is not, strictly speaking, a requirement, but certainly a nice-to-have.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,293 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot