Best practice for user management - an important question

Rumceisz November 7, 2012

Hi All,

we, Jira admins use a group based user management because our Jira is connected with Confluence and as you know - the Confluence doesn't handle roles. This is the situation till now but because we have more and more tasks with user management - hence we handle more and more users and projects, we plan to delegate the user management to the project leads.

In the first week of this task delegations we experienced that many project leads grant roles to everyone - it's quite a chaos!

So it came to my mind that we would make a large group for each project and the project lead could assign roles ONLY for the members of that group. So we would restrict the available users for the project leads.

What do you think? Can it be achievable?

Or have you got any other hint, suggest to avoid the chaos? Any idea?

Thank in advance,

Rumi

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
PauloP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2012

Hi Rumi

I believe that the best approach is using groups in the project roles instead of trying to deal with a huge user list. Actually, this is a default procedure for a LAN and domain administration.

Also, perhaps you should forward the management to the local domain and groups. So you'll have a central point for that.

Try to search here (answers.atlassian.com) for other posts related to it. I'm sure that you'll be able to find something.

Cheers,

Paulo Renato

Rumceisz November 7, 2012

Hi Paulo,

so far is the same situation: we are doing the user management via groups. But there are so many proejct leads and they rapidly change their user needs that we decided to delegate this task to the project leads.

At least: can it be achieved that the project leads cannot assign groups to roles but only users? The problem is that there are groups (e.g. customer groups or jira-users) which have 1000+ members and the project lead can easily assign so many external people to a role. If they assign users to roles than in case of mistakes will be not so big problem. But in case of 1000+ failed assign may cause security risks.

Suggest an answer