Best Practice for Upgrading 5.4.1 > latest version

Hi Everyone,

Our client needs to upgrade their Atlassian server they are running a number of Atlassian services, the key applications are JIRA (Ver-5.4.1, SEN-2983550) and Confluence (Ver-5.4.1, SEN-2996962). These versions are now a number of years old and they need these updated to the latest versions.

This will require:

• Reviewing best practice, I.E. How many servers are required, is one enough? How much Memory is recommended? Upgrade to ver 6 before upgrading to Ver7 required? etc etc.
  • Are the upgrades compatibile with 3rd party software? (Comala Workflows, Gliffy, Scroll Office, Scroll PDF exporter, Talk, Numbered Headings)
  • Migrating the database (which may include recommending a different database technology – currently Microsoft SQL)

Has anyone else had a similar setup and if so, are you able to give any advice or information on how to make this upgrade as smooth as possible?

Thanks in advance, Mark.

1 answer

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Mar 06, 2016

Howdy there Mark. None of these seem particularly crazy or out of the ordinary, do you have any questions in particular?

You should be reading all release and upgrade notes from each patch you're going through and past. You can read more about upgrading JIRA here – https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/upgrading-jira-using-a-rapid-upgrade-method-312738529.html

Specifically I'm sure you're interested in the version specific upgrade information, detailing any issues in upgrade paths that you might want to be concerned with. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/important-version-specific-upgrade-notes-229839720.html

I'm fairly certain that all the add-ons are supported in the latest version of Confluence. Usually you'd completely stage and test an upgrade – Running the system and tools through a user acceptance test should pick up any irregularities. Obviously you'd be checking the add-on's documentation for more information.

Migrating databases is really no different than doing it for any other system or application. Just follow the guides.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,755 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot