Bamboo vcs tagging problem / question

lance_lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2012

We have a SVN repo that has a precommit hook to force a message on commits.

When we are setting up the VCS tagging task, we get errors because the Bamboo task doesnt supply a message. The error message is below.

Is there a way to have bamboo add the message? What is the recommend solution in this scenario.

com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskException: Exception when tagging repository
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.vcs.task.VcsTaggingTask.execute(VcsTaggingTask.java:57)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskExecutorImpl.executeTasks(TaskExecutorImpl.java:183)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskExecutorImpl.execute(TaskExecutorImpl.java:91)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.pipeline.tasks.ExecuteBuildTask.call(ExecuteBuildTask.java:84)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.DefaultBuildAgent.build(DefaultBuildAgent.java:204)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.BuildAgentControllerImpl.waitAndPerformBuild(BuildAgentControllerImpl.java:103)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.DefaultBuildAgent$1.run(DefaultBuildAgent.java:109)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.pipeline.concurrent.NamedThreadFactory$2.run(NamedThreadFactory.java:50)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.atlassian.bamboo.repository.RepositoryException: Error while creating tag
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.repository.svn.SvnRepository.createTag(SvnRepository.java:1793)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.vcs.task.VcsTaggingTask.execute(VcsTaggingTask.java:52)
	... 8 more
Caused by: org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException: svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Commit blocked by pre-commit hook (exit code 1) with output:

Your commit has been blocked because you didn't give any log message  

Please write a log message describing the purpose of your changes.    

Important: Please add the issue identifier (ie, PS-15, OPS-15) in upper case 
then try committing again. 

-- Thank you, Onlife Health Configuration Management Team   

at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager.java:64)
	at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager.java:51)
	at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNCopyDriver.copyReposToRepos(SVNCopyDriver.java:380)
	at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNCopyDriver.setupCopy(SVNCopyDriver.java:629)
	at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc.SVNCopyClient.doCopy(SVNCopyClient.java:426)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.repository.svn.SvnRepository.copyRepository(SvnRepository.java:1751)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.repository.svn.SvnRepository.createTag(SvnRepository.java:1789)
	... 9 more

3 answers

0 votes
John Mulanthara
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 23, 2016

Please add the below code and  skip  all validations if the build is from bamboo. It worked for me. 

AUTHOR=`$SVNLOOK author "$REPOS"`
if [ "$AUTHOR" = "xxxxxxxxxx" ]; then

exit 0
fi

0 votes
Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2013

Hi Guys,

There is actually an improvement request to make the VCS tagging more configurable with the commit message. You can watch the request at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-10658

0 votes
Gretchen Jones November 26, 2012

Sure, pass a message with the commit.

Not knowing exactly how your subversion commit is being created (are you using a plugin or just tagging from the command line) you can add a -m "my checkin message to satisfy the Onlife Health Configuration Management Team"

as an argument to whatever command you are using to generate the commit action.

I do most of my svn activity using scripts but I suspect you can add the -m "your message here" string on the argument line of whatever subversion action you're committing. (tagging, branching, etc.)

patrick feenstra
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 13, 2013

Hi got the same problem, but the -m does not work for me

I am using the VCS Branching plugin with SubVersion as repository

and in the Display Name field I've added: AppName_1.1.x -m "Branch created by Bamboo"

but it failds with error:

14-Mar-2013 08:05:31 Caused by: org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException: svn: Commit failed (details follow): 14-Mar-2013 08:05:31 svn: Commit blocked by WANdisco pre-replication pre-commit trigger (exit code 1) with error: Please enter a commit message which details what has changed during this commit. 14-Mar-2013 08:05:31 svn: MERGE of '/repos/test/BambooTest/branches': 409 Conflict (http://svnglobal.xxx.xxxxx.com)

anyone?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events