Autowatch - User Mentions

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2019

Hi All,

I understand from this page that when I mention a user (@name) it does not add the user as a watcher.

Is there an app on the Marketplace or something I can do to configure our environment / project to make this happen? Our teams often mention SMEs or stakeholders who they'd like to be watchers rather than manage the list itself for each individual issue. 

We're using Jira v7.12.1 Server.

Thanks,
Ste

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2019

Hello Stephen,

I'm not aware of any marketplace plugin that would give you the functionality to automatically add a mentioned user as a watcher.

the only thing that might help you would be to create a saved JQL query to select all non-watched tickets with a mention of your username:

project = <project> and text ~ "@<your mention name>" and watcher != currentUser()

Then perform a bulk update of those issues via:

Tools -> Bulk Change -> Select All (checkbox) -> Next -> Watch Issues ...

Let me know if it helps.

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2019

Thanks Petterson; aware of this functionality but the suggestion to search for mentioned name is a good tip!

I'd still like to see though if anyone has been able to make this work with scripting or otherwise - within the accepted limitations within Jira.

Ste

Suggest an answer