Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Rule Notification Action Not Sending

Jon Chau February 27, 2018

In JSD, the out of the box Customer notification rule for "Request created" will only send an email to the customer if the Issue is created from the email channel or the customer portal.  It does not trigger when the request-channel-type = jira.  The request-channel-type = jira means that the issue is being created from within the JIRA Create screen.

As a call center, some of the agents will be manually creating issues when they receive phone calls.  We want to notify these customers, so I created an automation rule for the following conditions:

1. WHEN:  Issue created
  2. IF:  Issue matches request-channel-type = jira
  3. THEN:  Send email:
    1. To:  Customers involved
    2. Exclude person who caused the action is NOT checked
    3. I also used the "Send me a test email" which works

I then go ahead and manually create an issue from the create screen, and set the Reporter/customer.  The user does not receive the notification I set up.  I checked the automation logs and it says everything executed (green checks next to IF and THEN actions).

What am I missing here??

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2018

You can't send notifications to users in the customer role unless the issue has a Service Desk request type filled in.  This is because Jira Service Desk notifications to customers work differently than notifications to other Jira Core/Software/JSD Agent users.   The same is true if you were to try to send a notification to a JSD customer from an issue that was not in a JSD project.  It simply is not possible for Jira to send notifications to users that only exist in that customer role without using the special JSD notification system.

Instead of the steps you are trying, I would instead recommend this KB: Automatically set Customer Request Type When Issue is Created via JIRA.

By following these steps, you can then at least make sure that all issues created in that project via the Jira Create button (instead of via the customer portal) can still be treated as true JSD issues.  In order for things like notifications, SLAs, etc to work in a Service Desk project the issues have to be using the appropriate request types.

Jon Chau March 23, 2018

Thank you, this worked beautifully.

AKSHAY THAKARE September 19, 2018

HI Andrew,

I'm phasing the same issue.

FYI..!

I have created one rule using Jira automation add-ons when a comment is added to issues when the request type is "Support" then send an automated mail to the selected groups and also some email id I have put there.

But the receiver doesn't receive any mail from JIRA. I also check the rule log where a rule is executed successfully. 

Then I searched email queue where I found that mails get stucks into the error queue.
when I resend all the emails from the queue again email get stucks.this is happens repeatedly. 

Any solution to this?

error in email sending.PNG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events