Auotmatic priority change on card

sys admins May 17, 2017

I'm creating a new kanban board and haven't been able to find the setting that will automatically transition a card priority when moved from one colum to another. I have cards in my ToDo colum with a priority of "New Card" and when a resource moves it to the InProgress column, I'd like the priority to automatically change to "In Progress". I know this can be done, I've just been unsuccessful at finding where to configure this. Can someone shed some light on where I might find this setting?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2017

By default JIRA doesn't change the issue priority during a transition.  It's only expected to change the issue status.   But this is something that you can configure.  It's not a board setting though, instead this is something you would need to configure in the workflow settings for this project.

If you have not modified on of these before I would recommend reviewing Working with Workflows.

Basically you would need to find this specific transition in the workflow, then edit this workflow.  You can add a post-function in this workflow that will update the field value for the priority field, and then set this post function to set the value to High.   After this change is made, you need to publish the workflow before transitions will have this effect of changing priority.

I've added a few screenshots to help explain how this can be done.

wf1.pngwf2.pngwf3.png

Suggest an answer