Attaching custom form to new project

Matt Gruson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 2, 2013

New user question: When we had one project, no problem. Now I need to add a second project, that not all users can see, which uses different fields and forms.

Project2 has its own Issue Type. When I look at the Issue Types in Project Amin, I can see which Field Configuration and Screen its assigned (“Default” in both cases) but I cannot figure out how to change them. I want Project2 to use a different form. I’ve already created the form, but cannot attach it to the issue type or to the project.

Any advice?

Also, it would be wonderful if there were a high-level theory-of-operation paper (not the online docs – those are way down into the weeds), on the relationships between all these entities.

Thanks for any help,

1 answer

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2013

Hi Matt, basically once you create for example a new screen (which is what you are calling a 'form') you have to relate this new screen to a new issue screen scheme. I could explain how it works but it's pretty long, in this case I'll share you the docs:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+a+Screen+with+an+Issue+Operation

I know it's a little bit tedious to read all the docs, but since you got a lot to learn from this tool reading it's the best way... All this questions about how to manage multiple projects, screens, fields and issue types have well explained docs. At least you have to learn the theory to do the practice.

Hope this helps.

Matt Gruson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 3, 2013

Thanks, but I'm not finding the docs particularly useful -- they go directly into the deep weeds without any high-level structural information.

I have already created a “screen scheme” for the second project. I have also created a new screen. I am trying to associate the new Screen with all three Screen Scheme Items in the newly-created Screen Scheme. On the View Screen Schemes page, my new Screen Scheme is listed. Clicking the Configure button takes me to the “Configure Screen Scheme - <screen scheme name>” page, where only “operation: default”,”Screen:Default screen” are listed. If I click “default screen”, I can edit the default screen, but that is NOT what I want to do (other schemes use it). If I click “edit” for that (only) line item, I can select which screen “Default”, “Resolve”, or “Workflow” can be edited (I do not understand what this is supposed to do, but it is definitely not letting me assign my screen to any operations). If I click the [Associate an Issue Operation with a Screen] button I get a pair of pull-downs neither of which contain the screen I created. This page is not helping me configure my Screen Scheme.

I want “My New Screen Scheme” to use “My New Screen” for ALL operations (create, edit, whatever). I also have to make it work with my new project, and then worry about which users can see which projects, but I’ll settle for solving one mystery at a time.

Is there a place in the docs that I just can’t find that allows me to assign a Screen to all the tasks in a Screen Scheme?

More importantly, is there a chart that shows the relationship between all these objects? E.g. what types are associated with what types, on a per <other type> basis. This app has a LOT of entities, and I can’t find anything in the docs on their relationships.

Thanks for any help.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2013

Matt, first you have to create an Issue Type Screen Scheme, then you create the Screen Scheme. When you click on add screen scheme it show fields name, description and default screen. There you choose you new screen.

Once you have you Screen Scheme create you can search for it on the list and then go to Configure. There you can choose a screen per operation in the upper button "Associate a Screen with an Issue Operation", if you don't choose any more operations than default this means that this screen will be used for all the issue operations (create,edit,view).

Now, you have to go to your Issue Type Screen Scheme and then click on the button "Associate an Issue Type with Screen Scheme". This will show you a screen where you can choose your issue type for example "Bug" and the Screen Scheme that it will be the previously configured.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer