Assigning JIRA (Incident Management) Tickets to a 'resolver Group'

Andrew Smyth February 14, 2012

I am new to JIRA, so maybe barking up the wrong tree here...

Most Incident Management tools I have used previously allow for the assignment of a ticket toa Resolver Group (which contains a number of potential Assignees).

Looking at JIRA, it seems that tickets by default would be assigned to an individual (who may reside in a Group) - but the Helpdesk staff may not know all of the names and which groups they sit in/Services they support.

Is it possible to drive Incident Management via Resolver Groups? If so any ideas what is required to set this up?

If I am way off target here please let me know!

Thanks

Andy

4 answers

1 vote
Tim Schmidt March 2, 2014

Are there any updates on this issue? The workarounds are good but we need the option to assign issues to groups. Is atlassian workoing on this problem or are there addons?

0 votes
Joe Pakenham September 2, 2019

I would be very interested in getting a solution for this - whether that be in Cloud or Server version. Anything would be better than having to set up shared mailboxes due to a limitation of the software.

0 votes
B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2015

I dont think this will be changed, it is as "designed". Pillai's solutions are quite valid, and there are the (extra/additional) possibility Create a Dashbord for Incident Managers, that covers the issues needed to be processed by a group.

Also , adding one og more custom fields to support Dashboard and searches can enhance the solution. As most fields in JIRA, the "Assignee" i just a field used in searches, any person or group field can facilitate the same (almost), as they can be used in JQL, Dashboards, permission- and notification-schemes. 

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2012

There were many discussions on this topic earlier in the forum. Two workarounds we used

1. One was to simply create a user in Jira using the email address of the distribution group and make the assignment to that so all the people in the group come to know about the new ticket. Who every works on that does a self assignment of the issue to themselves

2. Second option was to keep the issue as Unassigned and create a subscription for Unassigned issues for the group who should be picking up with a frequency of 15mins. So within a span of 15min the team will be notified of a new incoming ticket and who ever is available at that time picks it up. Till the issue is picked up by someone Jira keeps reminding them about "not picked up" items. This was more preferred as in the earlier case, it was just one mail which will come to the group saying a new issue is assigned to the group.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events