Any way to make work log entry less painful?

gillamc November 14, 2018

I'm at a loss as to why the Date Started on the work log is populated with the current date time. Shouldn't this be a Date Ended field instead, and populate with the current time?

In general no one I know can accurately predict to the minute how much time they WILL spend working on an issue and input that before they actually start working. The typical workflow is to start working an issue, and then when you are done for that chunk of time(say 2.5 hours) you then log work on the ticket with an explanation of what you did. So you're done....open the ticket, enter time spent....2.5 hours....but....the "Date Started" is now. So that means to be at all accurate I have to manually adjust the date started back 2.5 hours (otherwise it looks like I've logged future time--current date/time + 2.5 hours). 

If users don't accurately manually adjust time (painful) then all the reports are screwed up. This is particularly bad on tickets that fall at the end of the month that might take several hours (maybe a day or two) and get logged at the end of the day--then it looks like they were worked in the following month. Not good.

How do others deal with this? Is there script or something that can automatically adjust the date based on the log time entered, but only if the user wants the calculation done (since sometimes we may need to go back a few weeks on a ticket to enter a couple of hours worked if someone forgot to log time, so locking the field isn't an option, nor is always auto adjusting it back).

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joshwa Marcalle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2018

Hi Chris, 

We use this product to do just that: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211125/automated-log-work-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

This is not our add-on we just use it and love it. You can track time by placing an issue on a certain status (automatically) or you can track time with a "start/stop" button which is also awesome. 

After you have that, you need an equally cool add-on to see worklog reports. For that I recommend this one: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219348/hours-reports-work-log-time-reports?hosting=cloud&tab=overview (this one is ours)

Hope this combination helps

Regards,

Josh

gillamc November 14, 2018

That's pretty sweet! Thanks for sharing those.

Suggest an answer