Any way to keep JIRA installer for creating jira users?

Numenta Admins
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 30, 2013

I have noticed that the jira installer on linux creates a new 'jira' user each time it is run, resulting in 'jira', 'jira1', 'jira2, etc., being created and used.

Is there any way to tell it to use a specifc user and not have it go and create a new one each time it is run?

1 answer

0 votes
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2013

As mention in the documentation : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA+on+Linux#InstallingJIRAonLinux-1.DownloadandInstalltheJIRA'LinuxInstaller'

You can also execute the Linux Installer without 'root' user privileges, although your installation options will be much more limited and a dedicated user account (to run JIRA) will not be created.

Numenta Admins
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 30, 2013

Unfortunately, that doesn't address my issue.

First, I want and need to run the installer as 'root'.

Second, I want to specify the user to be used for running jira, since our convention is to have 'role-' as a prefix for all service/system/role users.

Finally, the fact each run of the installer creates another 'jira*' user is a bug in my opinion.

Nico_Jahn February 10, 2020

You have mentioned this behaviour nearly 7 years ago and it's still the same. Interesting ...

Suggest an answer