Any way to backup an individual JIRA project?

Ken Hymes August 20, 2012

I'm familiar with the JIRA XML backup utility, but wondered if there is any way to backup a specific project & project data within JIRA (rather than the whole JIRA system)?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2012

Not to my knowledge, but you could try editing the export to just include one project...

Ken Hymes October 9, 2012

Thanks, Thomas. I'll give that a try and meanwhile add this to the list of enhancement requests....

0 votes
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2014

Hi Ken.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to backup a single project. There is a feature request for it in JRA-34307 but it has not been implemented yet.

0 votes
Eugen Gliga August 10, 2014

If you try to delete the projet, you will be provided with to option to backup:

WARNING: This operation cannot be undone. If you wish to save the project data, it is recommended that you back it up first.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2012

I know this is definitely a convoluted way to do it, but ...

1) Do a ful backup

2) Restore to a clean system archive system (ie total separate version of Jira just for this purpose)

3) Delete all projects you do not want from within Jira.

4) Backup the archive system which now gives you just the projects you want backed up.

5) clean out the archive system and shut it down until it is needed again.

This process could be scripted

Ken Hymes October 10, 2012

Thanks, Norman. Yep, a bit more rigorous but, if scripted, could be a snap! I'll chat with our admin on this approach....

Suggest an answer