Advices welcome to configure JIRA as well as possible

Christophe Leite August 1, 2013

Hi,

As a lot of Jira's users in the world, I try do configure JIRA intelligently and methodically. So, I try for example to normalize/standardize the names of schemes, roles, ... and others elements. Because, now, I have a few projects, with differents users and elements, but I don't know how it will grow.

Unfortunately, I discovered that it was not possible to use for example some functional name for fields, and so on. Do you have any good advice for me, in order to configure JIRA as well as possible ?

For example, as fields configuration scheme, I put PC_FCC_name_of_my_project, and for the fields configuration, I put PC_FC_name_of_my_issuetype. In both code above, PC mean project code that JIRA generate when you are starting a new project...

Thanks a lot,

Christophe

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2013

Salut Christophe,

most of your question you answered already by yourself.

I also try to name schemes with the prefix of the project abbreviation (e.g. PRJ - Workflow Scheme, etc.). However it can occur that a scheme is used in multiple projects. In that case I try to get a name that describes the scope of these projects (e.g. Test Management) and name the schemes accordingly (Test Management Screen Scheme).

For issue type specific objects (workflow, issuetype screen scheme) I also add the issue type in the name (PRJ - Bug Workflow).

As you stated the difficult part are the custom fields. It occured already a couple of times that I added a field for one project and later another project wanted the same name but with a different field type. I definitively don't allow identical names for custom fields (in filter and elsewhere you might pick the wrong one). I try to get as much information into the field name as possible without making the field name unreadable like scope and meaning (e.g. "Test Result" and not just "Result"). Beside that I prefer for custom fields the same naming convention as for the standard fields - every word starts with a capital letter like "Due Date". The look and feel is much better than having lower case field names like "test_plan_name" or "application owner".

So I guess, I couldn't provide you with much more advice then you already defined by yourself.

Cheers, Udo

Suggest an answer