Add versions to field's version picker?

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2011

Add versions to field's version picker?

I have three fields two jira standard ('Affects Version' and 'Fix Version') and one custom field where users select multiple versions. How can I add another version number?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2011

I am also not clear what you are asking.

If you have adminstration rights to a project, you should be able to go the project page and add versions for the stand jira controls. For you custom control you will need edit your options and add your versions there. The version pickers will then be able to access the version numbers.

In the Jira 4.4 manual, you can see the versions section for the standard Jira fields here in the Project Summary page image shown in the create project section. For the custom control, you need to configure the control and then edit option. Again, you should be able to reach the custom control from the project summary page under the fields section also shown in the same image.

0 votes
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2011

Not sure what you mean: would you like users to be able to add yet non-existing Version in one of your fields?

If yes, then JIRA does not allow it OOB. You could write your own plugin which would define a new custom field type (descending from Version custom field) which could allow it (similarily to Labels which can be defined on the fly).

Bear in mind though that normally JIRA allows project version creation only to project administrators (administrate project permission). If you want to stay consistent, your custom field implementation (actually its resource responsible for rendering it in "edit" mode and underlying stuff - like REST) should observe this permission too.

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2011

No, I don't want regular users to add versions. Only the project admin and/or jira admin should be able to add/delete version value. I hoping someone with the appropriate level of permission can perform this task. If so how do you do it. If not then I'm defining concern about this implementation.

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2011

JIRA project administrator (you have to grant such permission) can choose "Administer Project" and then they will see Versions pane. After clicking on "More" you are moved to project version administration screen where project administrators can easily add/delete/modify project versions. UI in JIRA 4.4.x has changed significantly, but in former JIRA versions the idea is the same -> version management is available from project administration screen.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events