Add new Admins Role with certain rights

Anton Zaitsev October 28, 2024

In Atlassian Administration - Directory - Groups I can setup Group Product Access.
For every group I can change Products and Product Roles. These roles are different for certain Product. 
It seems that they were created by default.
For example for some groups there's role of User Admin, for some just Admin, etc.

Is there a way to set up these Product Roles somehow? To add new Product Roles, to check the current Role's rights. 

For example I want to add new type or Admin, which has only part of Full Product Admin rights.

Thank You!

3 answers

1 vote
Cristian0791
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2024

Hi Anton,

For Cloud you have the Following segregation: 

Site admin

Product admin

Project admin

I don't think you cna make a custom Product admin role

You can find more info in this article: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/A-comparison-of-the-different-administration-levels-in-Jira/ba-p/1893975

0 votes
Doreen Undiri October 28, 2024

Hi Anton ,

I agree with Cristian on the roles he mentioned, Site Admin: Controls the entire site, including user management and billing. Product Admin: Manages settings within a specific product like Jira or Confluence & Project Admin: Manages settings for individual projects within a product like Jira.

You cannot create a custom Product Admin role in Atlassian Cloud, as these roles are predefined, meaning you can’t change what a "Product Admin" can do or create a new version of it.

However, you can:

Create Custom Groups, thus  Instead of trying to create a new "Product Admin" role, you can create a custom group and assign it specific permissions.

Go to Atlassian Administration > Directory > Groups.

Click Create group to make a new group (e.g., "Admin").

Assign this group to the specific Product you want them to access.

another way is to adjust Permissions with Schemes: For example, in Jira, you can adjust permission schemes to give this custom group specific access, like managing certain project settings, without granting them full product admin rights.

Go to Jira Settings > System > Global Permissions.

Add the newly created group to certain permissions like Jira Administrators or Browse Users. This allows you to tailor what the group can do.( This is for jira product )

Or you can use Use Global and Project Permissions in which You can tweak global permissions and project permissions to give the custom group the right mix of control and restriction, allowing for a more tailored experience.

Dd

0 votes
generalconsultancyun
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 28, 2024

You're managing groups and product access in Atlassian Administration.

The Product Roles you're referring to are indeed created by default, and they're tied to specific products like Jira, Confluence, or Bitbucket. These roles determine what actions users can perform within each product.

To manage Product Roles, follow these steps:

1. Go to Atlassian Administration > Directory > Groups.

2. Click on the three dots next to the group you want to edit.

3. Select "Edit group" > "Product roles".

Here, you can:

- View existing Product Roles for each product.

- Assign or unassign Product Roles to the group.

- Create new Product Roles (with some limitations).

To create a new Product Role:

1. Go to Atlassian Administration > Directory > Product roles.

2. Click "Create product role".

3. Choose the product and role type (e.g., Admin, User).

4. Configure the role's permissions.

Note that you can't modify the default Product Roles created by Atlassian. However, you can create custom roles with specific permissions.

For example, to create a new Admin role with limited rights:

2. Click "Create product role".

3. Choose the product (e.g., Jira) and role type (e.g., Admin).

4. Configure the role's permissions, selecting only the specific rights you want to grant (e.g., manage projects, but not manage users).

You can then assign this new role to groups or users.

To view the current Role's rights:

2. Click on the three dots next to the role you want to view.

3. Select "View role details".

This will show you the role's permissions and what actions users with this role can perform.

Keep in mind that Product Roles are product-specific, so you may need to create separate roles for each product.

If you have any further questions or need help with creating custom roles, feel free to ask!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events