Access to the database from Jira on the cloud

Aaron Zammit July 8, 2015

How do we get access to the database from Jira on the cloud? Is it possible?

10 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2015

Hi Aaron - the REST API is your best bet.

4 votes
Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 8, 2015

Hi, Aaron.

You can check documentation for REST API here: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/

Though you don't have access to the database, you can create a ticket at Atlassian Support and we'll be glad to help you out with any inquiries or problem you may have.

Kind regards,
Jaime Kirch da Silveira
Atlassian Cloud Support

mikutech December 9, 2019

What if there's a query you need that doesn't exist in the current Jira REST API?

Is it possible to write a Jira app that accesses the database and provides that info for people who are using it in the cloud?

Thanks,

Mark

Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2019

No app or user can access the database directly but the rest APIs are pretty comprehensive. What data are you looking for? If it truly does not exist via the rest API I'll help raise an issue in the right place with you to get it looked at promptly by the right team.

3 votes
Sam Stickland June 29, 2016

Well there are some parts of the JIRA documentation that point you towards changing values in the database, for example:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-edit-the-dates-associated-with-a-closed-sprint-779159174.html

1 vote
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
July 8, 2015
0 votes
Willy Dinah September 27, 2018

Hey, just use 3rd party services to integrate with databases. Check this one, it supports the most popular databases like SQL Server, MySQL, etc

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2015

I generally advise not accessing JIRA via the database anyway, since the DB user will be able to see all the data in JIRA, not just what you want them to see. REST is the way to do it, and for non-cloud, ScriptRunner

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
July 8, 2015

If you want to know why we don't allow it ask yourself this question: would you expect GMail to give you database access? It is just a counter intuitive thing to allow for a service that is supposed to be managed for you. I would also recommend using the REST API's; if they can't do what you need them to then let us know and we'll look into it. I'd be very surprised to hear that you could not do somehing via the REST API's though. They are pretty comprehensive: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest

0 votes
Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2015
0 votes

What i actually need is that at Create Issue, Priority + Urgency will result in a new  Severity issue with a metric how severe an issue is. I have found a case how to do it (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Setting+Priority+field+value+based+on+customfield+value)

regards, aaron

0 votes

hi Richard,

do you have a link to documentation for the Rest API?

let me know and thanks a lot,

regards,

aaron

Suggest an answer