2 Boards Not Linked

Kenz Dupras
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 4, 2024

Is it possible to have 2 Jira boards in 1 project that aren't linked? Currently, when I add a new board to the project it has the same exact epics as the 1st board. When I edit an epic on 1 board it gets edited on the 2nd and I don't want that to be the case. I want to have 2 separate boards with separate epics.

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2024

Hello @Kenz Dupras 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

The issues shown in a board are based on the Filter used by the board.

When you create the board you have a few options for its basis:

- based on creating a new project

- based on existing project

- based on Saved Filter

If you choose the second option, and then select 1..n projects, a filter is automatically constructed for your board to select all issues in the specified projects; i.e.

project in (A, B, C)

The filter used by a board can be modified by the Owner of the filter. You can navigate to that by going to the Configure Board / General page. The filter will be shown there, and there will be a link to Edit Filter.

If you are the owner of the filter you can edit it and save it under the same filter name. In that case the board would be immediately affected by the change to the filter.

If you are not the owner then you can only save it under a new filter name. The board will not be affected. The Administrator of the board can change the board to use the newly saved filter instead of the original filter.

Note also that boards are just a way to visualize and manipulate issues. The issues are not "in" the boards. The issues are contained in Projects. So, if you see a specific issue in multiple boards, the changes to that issue are reflected in all boards. The boards are not working on separate "copies" of the issues.

So, if you want your boards to show different issues from the same project, then you need to adjust the Filters used by each board so that they retrieve different subsets of issues from the source project(s).

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events