Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I pay attention to when answering questions in community?

Mehmet Şirin Usanmaz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2019

Hi Community,

I have two questions.

• What should I pay attention to when answering questions in community?
  • What should we have to pay attention to be the Atlassian Community Champion?

Thanks for answers.

Mehmet Şirin Usanmaz

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2019

Before answering a question, read it carefully in full. 

I've made the mistake more than once of answering a long question where there is something buried towards the end that would change my entire answer, or approach to it.

Ask for clarification if you are unsure (annoyingly, you have to do that as an answer in this forum, unlike the previous version where you could do it as a comment)

Beware of acronyms - unless there's a very common one in IT with absolutely no doubt of what it might be, again, ask

We mostly post in English here, but there is no rule that you have to.  The audience mostly speak some English, so it's a good default and gets a question the widest set of people who may be able to help.  But you cannot assume that the writer of a question is completely fluent.

Keep the language generic - I'm English (I start conversations with an apology, drink tea by the gallon, and even went to a grammar school), English is my first (and sadly, only) language, and I quite like using grandiloquent words and English phrases.  These sometimes do not translate into other languages well, even American English - I've seen blank faces on Americans when I've used everyday English words like "fortnight" and "treble".   It gets worse when I start using words that are more localised - tiffin, fiddlefart, or trump.  Let alone my description of my MP (Member of Parliament) as a "Kruger-spoofing ninnyhammer".  Imagine how colloquialisms might translate into other languages, then avoid them!

Remember that Atlassian, like most fields, has jargon that means some words might be being used differently - issue, cloud, data centre, screen etc.  Sometimes, people might be using the non-Atlassian meaning, or they might read that into your answer.

See https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Welcome-Center/Atlassian-Community-voice-and-tone-guide/gpm-p/998155 for a good set of guidelines on tone!

To become a champion, write good answers (that get accepted or voted up), engage with people (if they comment on your answer because they've not understood, get back to them to try to explain differently or expand on it), and ask questions!  Contributions and activity are measured and a list of potential champions goes to Atlassian regularly for them to add the flag to accounts!

Like Erica Moss likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events