The Future of Atlassian Administrators

Aaron Cook July 29, 2019

How will the Atlassian Administrator role change in the next few years as Jira Cloud and server/data center become very different applications from the perspective of the administrative functions?  Will server/data center be phased out?  With the Next-Gen Projects, it appears from my limited exposure, the admin role really goes away. 

I'm new to Atlassian administration, I'm being asked these questions and I'm not really finding definitive answers.  If I'm looking in the wrong location, please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Aaron 

2 comments

Comment

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2019

Well.. that is very interesting topic that you started..

From one side Atlassian all best practices gathered over the years and now certificates also are related to server version, from the other side customers are pushed to move to cloud on all sides.. even form Data Center products.. You become an Cerfied Atlassian Admin but that only apply to one platform not all. When using Cloud that knowledge is completely useless. So a lot of things need to change on that level..

Overall I think for the next couple of years Atlassian Administrator would still exist but in a complete different form.. not someone that would spend time on configuring schemes but someone that need to deal with all of differences that exist in all offerings and even sub-offerings like classic and next-gen projects..

Opening administration for everyone mean a lot of mess also that someone would need to cleanup.. And overall still a lot of customers would not move to cloud due to some regulations and law..

But like I always say.. Market is so dynamic that what is popular now might not be in few months from now. Looking back 10 years ago nobody was able to predict how things would change.. Currently there is a trend for Cloud (more like a Sheep Rush), but how long it would be there.. Hard to say :)

Like # people like this
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2019

Hi,

from my point of view a Cloud-only solution will not fit for the majority of companies reaching a certain size. Hybrid public/private cloud solutions will become more & more popular over the next years. That's why Datacenter is pushed by Atlassian (maybe even more than Cloud): The ability to have private nodes on premise, in AWS and/or Azure is quite an interesting approach. So, imho, Atlassian admins will be handling much more complex environments in the future.

Best

JP

Like # people like this
Aaron Cook August 5, 2019

Thank you both for your thoughts and insights to my questions.  Regards, Aaron

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events