Send web request action of Automation for Jira with credentials

Takafumi Ohtake -Ricksoft-
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 13, 2022

I like the Send web request action of Automation for Jira.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Automation-for-Jira-Send-web-request-using-Jira-REST-API/ba-p/1443828

It could be very helpful to integrate Jira with other systems.
It's simple but very powerful.

Almost all systems need authorization. So we have to input credentials in the form.
However, it seems there's no way to mask credentials in the form. So I can't use it in many use cases.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22729

How are you using the Send web request action without the masking parameter feature?
You find workarounds? Or put credentials as plain text? Or give up to use it?

2 comments

Comment

Becky September 2, 2022

I was with the same problem that you have, my "workaround" is using user properties to store both user and password, and then, using smart values to access the values. 

I have admin privileges, so I created the properties through this end point and use the user who has the properties as the actor of the rule, then I can access its values with

{{rule.actor.properties.prop_name.username}} and {{rule.actor.properties.prop_name.password}}

I'm not satisfied with this yet, but I think this is less dangerous than writing down the password everywhere.

Pros

1. Password is not a visible text
  2. You can use in all projects
  3. You have to know what are the properties to get the access through automation 
  4. You need User Management privileges to access through API 

Cons

1. The values can be printed by anyone who was automation access and know the user and the properties that have the info. 
  2. The values can be access through API

I hope I could help you some way

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 4, 2022

@Becky 

Thank you for sharing your workaround.
I agree with you about the Pros and Cons.

Marketplace Partner
December 2, 2022

I forgot to leave a comment.

Jira automation supported masking HTTP headers.
So, we don't have to bother with this topic anymore.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events