Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and Cons of using G Suite in Atlassian

Carlota Vendrell March 19, 2019

Hey guys, 

In my enterprise we've just acquired the G Suite version of Google. I've seen that there is the possibility of connect the Atlassian Tools to G Suite. 

I would like to start a discussion about it (the possibility of connecting Atlassian and G Suite), how can it benefit me and how can this affect me. 

Best regards, 

Carlots Vendrell Sobreroca

1 comment

Comment

Simeon Cheeseman March 20, 2019

Hey, we currently use the G Suite integration with Atlassian.

What I've found is that this works great for removing (deactivating) and adding users automatically as they are managed in G Suite - if you're using gmail as your email then this can save you a few steps in adding and removing users as you just have to manage the Email address in G Suite.

You still have to get the permissions and product access setup correctly (unless you just allow everyone access to everything, then it's easy).

The biggest pain point is that the Username is based on the email address in G Suite and the Display Name is the same as what's in G Suite. To change a Display name you have to get a G Suite Admin to change the name, there's no other way of doing this.

Hope some of that helps.

Carlota Vendrell March 20, 2019

Thanks for your answer @Simeon Cheeseman . 

Leaving aside the users theme, I was thinking about the space available to upload files in tasks in Jira. Does the integration improve this? Taking into account that with G Suite you can have unlimited space in Google Drive. Maybe it does not matter. 

Simeon Cheeseman March 20, 2019

No Idea if you can do that - it's not something we ever looked at. That said we haven't had any issues with storage so far.

Narmada Jayasankar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2019

Hi Carlota,

The Gsuite integration provides delegated authentication (SSO) and user lifecycle management (user provisioning and de-activating) capabilities. It does not integrate with the space available in Gsuite. Depending on the Jira plan you are on, file storage space may or may not be a problem. Our Standard and Premium plans offer 250 GB and unlimited space respectively. You can find more details on the different Jira plans in the link below.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing

Thanks!

Narmada

Product Manager, Atlassian

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events