Jira 7 vs Jira 8 performance (comparison)

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2019

The Atlassian release of Jira 8 advertises, among other things, a significant improvement in performance. In CoreIT s.r.o. we did not let trust to him so much and we checked it out ourselves. We created two identical instances - version 7.13 and version 8.0 - and tested several performance factors that showed the improvement is indeed noticeable. Proof can be seen in the picture below.

Jira-8-eng.PNG

What is your experience after upgrade to new Jira 8? Did you experience something similar?

4 comments

Comment

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2019

@Petr Vaníček Thank you for the post!

I have not done any testing yet.

Korneev Alex March 7, 2019

HI all

What type of disk? hdd\ssd?

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2019

Hi,

it's SSD (gp2 on AWS).

Korneev Alex March 7, 2019

Thnx!

postgres\mysql ?

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2019

PostgreSQL 11.1 (but with native 9.4 driver)

Evgeniy_Russkikh March 7, 2019

Hello!

Can you tell, your jira 8 on java 8 or java 11?

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2019

Hi,

it's running on Java 8 (both instances).

Like Evgeniy_Russkikh likes this

Don't you want to test java 8 vs java 11 also?

Like Petr Vaníček likes this
Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2019

Maybe later with 8.1 ans I also think it's already supported, but it's not. I tried run it with Java 11, but I got error for 2 system plugins with "We haven't been able to start all the required system plugins"

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agile-articles/Java-11-OpenJDK-support-update-for-Server-and-Data-Center/ba-p/967836

Like Evgeniy_Russkikh likes this

oh, i see. Will wait then :)

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2019

Hi @Evgeniy_Russkikh

so I just tried thi with 8.1 EAP03 (so really early version of Jira 8.1) and results are worst in compare of Jira 8.0 and also 7.13 with Java 1.8. I will update results when 8.1 will be published, because for now it could be becasue of early development state.

Výstřižek.PNG

Like # people like this
Evgeniy_Russkikh March 27, 2019

Hi!
Wow thanks! Will see on release then :)

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2019

Hi! 

Thanks for that post.

it will be awesome, if you provide jvm parameters both instances. 

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2019

Both instances has 3000 MB for both values - nothing else wasn't changed.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events