How to split project/team etc

Nathan Hazout July 18, 2021

I'm just starting with JIRA, and I'm looking for tips on how to organize the work.

Think of this pretty typical situation:

• 1 product
  • Dozens of components
  • 3 teams
  • Some teams "own" components
  • Some teams work on several components, based on the needs.
  • Teams sometimes cooperate 

Should we have a single project, and several boards to reflect teams, components, etc?

Or should we have several projects, and boards that combine projects as needed?

By the way, is there the concept of "team"? Can we assign a task/epic to a team?

3 comments

Comment

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2021

Hello @Nathan Hazout ,

We have a huge project. with multiple components.

We using the following process.

1. Scrum Project

2. Created Multiple components

3. Main Board - which contains all issues from the project

4. A single sprint for all the Stories / Tasks from different components (Due to Teams may work on multiple component related items)

4. Created separate boards (Scrum Boards) for each component (Which is used to know efforts and pending works for each and every component).

Sorry, 

Present only one user can be assigned for Tasks.

Basically "Epics" are business requirements. We spilled epics into Stories & Tasks based on requirements. one epic may contain a lot of user stories so, it's better to be unassigned or you can assign it to a Project Lead. we can track the stories and tasks.

I hope it may help you with the above process.

Thanks,

Anvesh

Nathan Hazout July 19, 2021

Thanks it helps.

Regarding my "team" comments, is there a workaround?

My idea is that, when a team will work on organizing its backlog, or its sprint, how will they know what's relevant for them among all the noise of the other teams?

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2021

for this case

You can create a regular scrum board.

If you have 3 teams, you can configure 3 different scrum Boards.

Create 3 groups for 3 teams.  and add users as per team structures.

Now configure each scrum board filter with view access to "Respective New group".

So only team members can view their respective board only. so it may not big mess in the backlog or sprint items.

Please try with a dummy project, I hope it may helps.

Nathan Hazout July 19, 2021

I think there is a misunderstanding. Is the "backlog" specific to a board?

What I meant is, where i CREATE a new issue - how do I specify which group it is relevant for? So that when they plan their sprint, they'll know what to look for? 

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2021

all issues in the Backlog & Active sprint are displayed based on the Board filter.

I've one more suggestion 

Create a Custom Field with dropdown (Single Select)

Example 

Field Name (Team) -- Values (Team A, Team B, Team C).

Now create 3 new scrum boards  configure Board filters as below

Team A Board Filter --> Project = ABC and Team = Team A.

Team B Board Filter --> Project = ABC and Team = Team B.

Team C Board Filter --> Project = ABC and Team = Team C.

when you create new issues -- Please choose Team A / Team B/ Team C.

So based on the team Values issues will be shown on different boards.

So every team can only able to see all the issues related to theirs. you can select multiple componnets. 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2021

Hi @Nathan Hazout

adding to the great information you already have received I am wondering if a custom field of type "user picker (multiple)" or "group picker (single or multiple)" could address the need for reflecting that several people are working on an issue.

It is not specifically an Assignee-field as 1 issue = 1 assignee in Jira but doint it that way it can help improving visibility. You also can use the field in Permission Schemes (assigned to a project) and/or Notification Schemes.

For hiding/unclutter comments from one Team (comments that are only meant for another) there is no neat solution as per date - on Jira Server there was an option to restrict comments for roles/groups - but I felt in daily use this is a bit cumbersome. On Jira cloud I could not find that option either - I think it was never introduced on Jira Cloud (or I could not locate it).

For the very valid core of your questions I found that there are several discussions in Community around it, probably it is worth reviewing them also for some inspiration.

Finally, some discussions around the topic:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Multiple-teams-and-a-single-project-or-multiple-projects/qaq-p/1666501

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Multiple-Boards-or-Multiple-Projects/qaq-p/1271310

Regards,
Daniel

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events