It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Multiple Boards or Multiple Projects?

I need an answer for my particular use-case, which probably arises from missing understanding of the difference between boards and projects.

I manage a small Product Team (which supplies the necessary specs and user stories), an inhouse Scrum Team and 2 external Teams through Kanban.

Should I create multiple Projects or should I try to create multiple Boards for one Project?
I worry that I won't be able to handle the permissions regarding the workflows, tickets and viewing rights. Especially as the external Ressources could change from time to time.

Thankful for any advice,
Lasse

3 answers

Hi  @Lasse_Linzer

do your teams work on the same product or with the same backlog? In that case it makes sense to create different boards within a project. 

If your teams work on different things (different backlog), you can also use different projects. Different projects would also be necessary if you want to have different issue types, permission or notification schemes, but also different workflows for the same issue type. 

For the externals, you can easily create a groups dedicated to them and grant permissions based on this group (the users should not be included to other groups with more permissions though).

My best

Merve

Hi @Lasse_Linzer 

In our company, we use different projects for each department team (developers, support and marketing team etc.). And different sprints (bourds) we use for each workflow periods.

But it depends on your needs. You can read more about bourds here https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/what-is-a-board-764477964.html

And about Jira Scrum Boards here https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/scrum-boards 

Hope it helps

Hello @Lasse_Linzer 

I think the quick answer to your question is to create multiple projects. The difference between projects is issue types, sets of fields, states, transitions, etc. It's safe to say that different projects may differ drastically whereas boards are in fact just visually organized filters within one project.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you