Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Multiple teams and a single project or multiple projects

Hello All,

Here is my requirement

I have multiple projects and a single core team. I want to split the team into 3 teams who will be working on the same backlog items.

I tried searching legit jira solutions, but couldn't find anything. I could see some work arounds but not sure what the cons are.

Plus most of the solutions are from 2013-14. I am using the latest version of classic board. NOT next gen

1 answer

Hi @csawai1,

I always recommend people to look at boards as the home for work of a single team. Ideally, a team has one single board where all its current work can be scheduled and moved from to do towards done, visually.  Whether that should be a scrum or a kanban board is very much depending on the type of work (is your team responsible for defining and scheduling its own work up front eg versus is it handling incidents that come in as they occur, e.g.) and your internal planning processes.

Having separate boards for each team creates focus for your teams. They can see their work without being distracted by things they are not responsible for getting done. And - having separate boards also ensures that the out of the box reports (cumulative flow, velocity, sprint reports, burndown charts, etc) show you metrics specifically for your team. Which means you can detect bottlenecks in your team's daily operations much easier.

Having separate boards for your teams does not mean you have to put the issues in separate projects as well. Each board is populated with issues from a board filter (JQL), so you as long as you assign tickets to your teams, filters can cherrypick the right issues for them as you need:

Project = YourProject AND Team = "Team A"
Project = YourProject AND Team = "Team B"
Project = YourOtherProject AND Team = "Team B"

In this example, I have theoretically some issues for Team A in YourProject. Team B has other issues is YourProject as well and additionally some issues in YourOtherProject as well. The board filters for team A and B would look like this:

Team A

Team = "Team A"

Team B

Team = "Team B"

It is a good thing to see your boards and projects as different things. Where you organise your boards from the perspective of your teams, rather look at the projects from the type of issues you plan to put in them. Are you working on an application or a product? Great! Set up a project for that product or application and another project for another product or application. That way, all work for a single application ends up in 1 central place.

Hope this is some food for thought :-)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you