$$$ Discussion - License and Mainteance Costs: Renewals and "override any existing maintenance"

David Willson September 18, 2019

Hey Everyone!

I've been reading about upgrading Jira licensing (https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira-software), and would like to get a discussion going around the following paragraph

"Upgrades include 12 months of software maintenance commencing from the date payment is processed. This will override any existing maintenance period."

Specifically I'd like some discussion on "This will override any existing maintenance period."

Assuming I've paid an initial software maintenance renewal for 12 months, If 6 months later I need to upgrade my license because my company is growing and need more licenses (which is the goal!), my new larger license "override[s] my existing maintenance period" and as a result the remaining 6 months of the initial maintence I paid for just vanishes?

I must be missing something, is "overriding" pre-paid services when upgrading, a standard licensing practice other companies use? I would have thought when you upgrade, the maintenance period would be extended 12 months.  It must be legal to do, but it really seems to me like companies are being forced to pay twice for the same maintenance.

Thoughts?

1 comment

Comment

Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2019

I'm not an expert for licensing but while upgrading your license, don't you get some discount for your remaining period. So, actually you are converting your existing license. You can check details here:

https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/purchase-licensing#upgradingserverlicenses-2

When calculating the price of a Server license upgrade, we use the following formula:

New Tier Price minus 50% of Current Tier Price

Like # people like this
David Willson September 20, 2019

This good to know. Thanks!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events