Can we trust Atlassian ?

Leonid Danilenko April 6, 2022

Can we trust Atlassian products to be in core of our business processes. We asked this question yourselves a few years ago when we started to use Atlassian products and answer was yes.

Yesterday our Jira and Confluence instances goes down. All our information for now is inaccessible and our business processes stopped. We can't get any support person for phone call and can't get our information. It is shame for Atlassian and it is very alerting for current and new customers ! Ask yourselves - can you trust Atlassian when they just leave clients without support and without access to information in cloud products.

2 comments

Comment

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2022

Hi @Leonid Danilenko ,

I think you can still trust Atlassian.

Something happend yesterday which caused the outage of several customer instances. These things happen (both on a Cloud platform and with locally hosted systems) and you can follow up any feedback Atlassian is providing on https://status.atlassian.com

I also believe it's impossible for a company with that many clients to provide personal phone support for each and every client. I believe at this moment you'd be just waiting in a queue longer than anything. If you however need such support, they do have dedicated programs for that type of contracts https://www.atlassian.com/enterprise/tam

So yes, it's annoying that we don't have a direct support line but I doubt they would be able to tell you anything more than what appears on the statuspage. If you want to you can always raise a support request thru https://support.atlassian.com/contact (you might need to use a general topic as your cloud url won't be recognized either due to the issue)

Sadly there is not much more we can do or provide you with however if this is a business critical application in your organisation then maybe investing/looking in to backup/failover solutions or higher grade support might not be a bad suggestion.

Even the biggest products/companies can fail from time to time or have issues and sadly there is no magic solution to resolve it instantly.

This said, I'd raise a ticket with them and keep an eye on the statuspage updates.

Like # people like this
Leonid Danilenko April 6, 2022

Hello Dirk

Thank you for your answer. I understand your position and point of view on this case. It is completelly understand that support team has limited capabilities and can't provide real time support for all clients. It is ok. What is not ok is situation when Atlassian breaks current SLA ( i think that 24 hours downtime is not complies with SLA ) and doesn't provide nor any details nor phone number for discuss of situation. So - Atlassian doesn't complies with they own terms and SLA and at the same time doesn't provide any explanations and rejects to discuss this with clients. Do you think that such situation is ok ?

Like # people like this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2022

Hey @Leonid Danilenko ,

Let's be clear that my position is also that of a customer and someone that just like to volunteer time answering questions on this community (and by no way affiliated with Atlassian directly) :).

If we look at the SLA that Atlassian presents (https://www.atlassian.com/legal/sla and https://support.atlassian.com/subscriptions-and-billing/docs/service-level-agreement-for-atlassian-cloud-products/) it would be 99.9% uptime per month which would allow for +-45min of downtime I believe. According to that page you might be entitled to a "service credit" as a compensation but you'll have to submit a ticket for that.

I cannot find anything related to an SLA about Time to Resolution only about Time to Response 

(https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/atlassian-support-offerings-193299636.html)

So if my information is correct they are indeed in breach of SLA and you can get compensation. I also feel like communication could have been better but I personally  rather have they work on the issue than spend time on communication about the fact that they are working on it. But no, I don't feel like such a situation is ok and it could be handled better. (perhaps the current Team22 event is also placing a bit more of a strain on the communications going out)

The only other thing I was able to dig up was a reply from support posted by another user here regarding the cause and a possible resolution timeframe.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Jira-Confluence-Jira-Service-Desk-not-accessible-since-yesterday/qaq-p/1994100#M528299

I still feel that if you want a more targeted reply you'll best create a ticket and have them reply on that and also look in to your compensation and if it is applicable. 

Like # people like this
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2022

Hello,
We apologize for the length of this ongoing incident and for not being more proactive in our communication with you. We understand how mission-critical our products are for you and want to make sure we are relaying the most accurate information possible.

While we really want to get in front of you live to answer your questions, we are prioritizing getting customers up and running first and foremost. We will host an AMA (Ask Me Anything) after we get all of our customers fully restored.

In the meantime, please add your questions here and we will respond as quickly and transparently as we can. Some questions may not be answered until we do an official PIR, but we will let you know that and answer as much as we can now.

Our Chief Technology Officer Sri Viswanath has posted a blog about this incident with more background and details, and our team is working around the clock to move through the various stages for restoration.

We are working 24/7 to restore your service. Thank you to those who have been sharing all the information you know from your support requests. Thank you for being open, honest, and caring for your fellow Community members. This speaks a lot about what makes Community a special place.

@Leonid Danilenko We greatly appreciate your feedback and sentiment, we've heard your concern.

@Dirk Ronsmans Thank you for being an awesome Community Leader!

Lastly, if you're unsure if a support request was raised on your behalf, please let me know, and I will personally check. My team and I went through all Community posts related to this incident to ensure everyone's site had a support request.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers | Product Lead, Community

Like Sanjog Sigdel likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events