It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Calling all Jira Cloud users! Give us feedback on our exploration of a new navigation. Edited

Matt Tse Atlassian Team Jul 09, 2019

Hi everyone!

My name’s Matt and I’m a product manager at Atlassian. I work in the navigation & findability space for all our Jira Cloud products. We’ve been working on trying to improve the experience and are happy to announce that we have an exploration of the navigation that you can try today.

new_nav_exploration.png

What do you need to get started?

To be eligible for this prototype you'll need to:

1. Be a user of Jira Software, Jira Service Desk or Jira Core (Cloud only)
  2. Use Google Chrome as your primary internet browser

Instructions

All you need to do is install our Atlassian Navigation Prototype Chrome extension on your browser. Once you have, navigate to a Jira near you and refresh your browser. That's it!

What will happen?

Navigating in Jira now will use our new navigation. Everything should work as it used to and you can keep using Jira as normal. Please note that if you are using Confluence Cloud, you will also have the ability to toggle on/off the exploration for Confluence.

We need your feedback!

Help shape the future of Jira Cloud. If you have any general feedback, bug reports, ideas or suggestions we'd love to hear from you! Simply click the "Navigation Feedback" link in the navigation and your feedback will go straight to us!

nav_feedback.png

Disabling the extension

If for some reason, you need to disable the extension you can remove the extension at any time or simply disable it from your Chrome extensions menu. 

disable_nav_2.png

Thanks for your time. Feel free to leave comments below or submit in-product feedback. If you’d like to chat directly, please email me at mtse[at]atlassian[dot]com.

Cheers,

Matt

12 comments

Administrators too? o just simple users?

Like # people like this

Hey @Manuel , admins are more than welcomed to try the extension out. It's not limited to any particular role. 

Also, feel free to send it to your end-users @Manuel if you think that will help us get a diverse range of feedback! 

Like # people like this

When will there be support for Safari ??

Hey @Dwight Pfundstein , there are no plans for this extension to be supported on Safari browsers at this time. Because it is our very first exploration, we're starting very small and will continue to iterate based on the feedback. 

Hello @Matt Tse, I really like the horizontal bar experience so far! It'd be great to get a "Board" button as well - I've already sent a feedback about this :)

Will you consider adding this experience though Jira labs? Some users don't have enough rights on their computer to install a Chrome extension.

Like # people like this

Hey Manon! Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We haven't landed on a final design, so I'll relay that back to the designers working on this.

In terms of making this available through Jira labs, it's not completely off the table right now but I also can't guarantee when it might come. I'll try my best to keep you and the rest of the community updated as we go further.

Cheers,

Matt

Like Manon Soubies-Camy likes this

@Manon Soubies-Camy would love to hear more about what part of the navigation experience do you like? Has it improved anything for you?

Hi @Sherif Mansour,

The horizontal bar makes it much easier to navigate through projects and issues. With the vertical one, I always feel like I'm doing too much clicks to get where I need to be. The g + g shortcut doesn't work everywhere on Jira Cloud (and it doesn't work anywhere on Confluence Cloud), so I often have to click through several menus.

Also, I have 500 users on my Jira Cloud and a lot of them don't see the + to create an issue or the 🔎 to search for issues. With the horizontal bar, the "Create" button is clear and they understand right away they need to click on Create to, well, create issues :)

Like # people like this

Good Morning Matt

Well I was expecting the view to look like this in my browser:

2019-07-12_5-56-42.jpgBut instead it looks like this:

2019-07-12_5-56-19.jpgCan we get the screen to go back to the one at the top and stay there?

Matt Tse Atlassian Team Jul 15, 2019

Hi @Sandra Bryant ,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. This new issue view is an experience handled by my colleague @Yousef Abusamak and his team. He should be able to answer your question better than I can.

Like Potato likes this

My users would also like to return to the old view permanently.  This new view is definitely not helping us get more done.  Since Sandra's post has been here for 11 days with no response, should I assume there won't be one forthcoming?

Hi @Sandra Bryant  and @Jim Highley

My name is Yousef and I'm a product manager working on the new Jira issue view, I'm sorry to hear that the new view is not working the way you are team is expecting. I can help you turn it off and I would like to hear from you what is working and what is not so we can make it better. please drop me an email at yabusamak@atlassian.com and I will follow up from there.

Ok I like the navigation this is great. I want to share with my team. Can we keep it?

jira navigation.JPG

Like Matt Tse likes this
Matt Tse Atlassian Team Jul 15, 2019

Yes, absolutely you can! As long as your team uses Chrome as their primary browser, they are more than welcomed to install the extension and use it for as long as they want.

Just to reiterate that this is very much an exploration at this stage so we can't make any guarantees on how long the extension will be supported. We are super grateful for the outreach and thank you so much for your time!

@Sandra Bryant would love to hear why you feel the new navigation is great for you? Any specific things that stand out? 

Like Matt Tse likes this

I can't seem to keep the Chrome plugin enabled for Jira Horizontal Navigation.  It appears to remain off even though I turned it on by clicking the button.

Here's what I did:

• Navigate to a Jira page.
  • Click the Atlassian icon on my browser.
  • Turn on Jira horizontal (see image below).
    image.png
  • Manipulate issues in Jira.
  • Click on the Atlassian icon on my browser again.

At this point the Jira switch is off.

image.png

Am I doing something wrong?

JD Atlassian Team Jul 19, 2019

Hi Scott, 

Firstly thanks for your interest in trying out our navigation exploration!

We think the reason the chrome plugin keeps disabling itself is because it accesses files from our prototype server. While this is fine for most users, some companies may block certain domains. 

You could test this by using your phone as hotspot or trying on a different network and device.

Let me know how you go :)

Like Matt Tse likes this

How can we reach jira cloud via rest services?

Matt Tse Atlassian Team Jul 24, 2019

Hi Engin,

I'm not sure I understand the ask. Could you please elaborate on what you are trying to do/accomplish? Are you currently using a Jira Cloud product and interested in building an add-on? If so, we have plenty of documentation available here: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/software/rest/

Hello Matt,

This new navigation looks good to me on initial look, feel like community page. where is "Starred and recent" menu? also i like to have it in user configuration or some settings base instead of having this in chrome extension.

Like Matt Tse likes this

Hi @shalin ,

Thanks for the feedback! What do you like about it so far? 

Good eye on the "Starred and recent" menu. In this exploration, we've consolidated both the starred and recent items into each respective menu dropdown that you see at the top (Projects, Filters, Dashboards, excluding Issues). 

In terms of making this available through the user configuration/settings (i.e., Jira labs), it's not completely off the table right now but I also can't guarantee when it might come. I'll try my best to keep you and the rest of the community updated as we go further.

Cheers,

Hello @Matt Tse ,

I really like the horizontal view but I believe I ran into a specific bug. Once switched on, I see that the navigation bar creates a second scroll bar on the page/window. I've reported it but here's a screenshot. Looking forward to a fix and re-using it :)

Thanks

Sushant Mongia

Screenshot:

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 1.43.27 PM.png

Like Matt Tse likes this

Thanks @Sushant Mongia ! Appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

I'd love to understand why you like the horizontal view so far. Could you provide more details? 

@Matt Tse , Sure!

Professionally Speaking:

For Confluence:

I like the conventional full screen style page for viewing my documents (as most webpages are implemented) and my preference makes me hide the side bar every time only to reopen it minutes later to create a new article (Content writing and curation tasks). So this horizontal view fits the bill and I absolutely liked it at my first try. I get to navigate all my starred spaces easily from the dropdown (BIG thumbs up), the create option is now not a "+" that I - sometimes in a rush - forget where it is and search bar onwards everything is now a proper tray!

For Jira:

All the relevant from above and more drop downs on the top left make working easier and faster! I personally keep track of few projects so a dropdown kinda adds on to making it feel closer to a desktop app.

Personally Speaking:

• The reason I like and prefer the horizontal view is, it's the most natural way of working on any number of tools. I've worked on so many tools, each one of them has some toolbar on the top. So naturally I like menu bars and toolbars on the top of the screen.
  • I've been working with the Dock on Mac and Linux mounted to the left of the screen, also my Windows Taskbar on the left. Imagine the relief to not have your hidden dock in fullscreen on Mac pop up every time you try to access the Confluence and Jira toolbar. :D

Please let me know if you were looking for something specific that I might not have discovered yet!

Cheers,

Sushant Mongia

Like # people like this

Hi @Matt Tse  !

Thanks for sharing this prototype extension, I hope it becomes an official release into Jira Cloud soon. Our team enjoyed it a lot because we mainly work with BigGantt plugin and do regular meetings to check on the project timeline. Using your prototype extension we got a full width view for the plugin, which leaves us with plenty of space for the Gantt !

Also, top bars are kind of a standard in almost every webapp. As a suggestion you could add an icon to "auto hide" the bar or "pin it on top" (like it is now), that way if you scroll down you'll get almost a full screen real estate.

Awesome.

Cheers.

Like Matt Tse likes this
Matt Tse Atlassian Team Aug 01, 2019

Hey @Giovani Spagnolo ,

Thanks for trying out the prototype and sharing your feedback with us. Please feel free to share it with your colleagues and/or friends who may also be using Jira Cloud.

Great to hear you're getting more horizontal real estate to work with! I know how precious that can be, especially when working with smaller displays. If you have any other feedback as to why you enjoy the top navigation more, I'd be more than happy to hear it! 

Cheers,

Matt

Like Giovani Spagnolo likes this

Hi @Matt Tse 

I like the return to the top nav. It makes more sense as a top nav and I was never a fan of the move to the left nav.

Are the long term plans to roll this back into Jira/Confluence as the standard or will this approach remain as a plugin?

With the current plugin, is there an opportunity for it to respect the sidebar colours as defined in the admin settings of Jira / Confluence?

What about custom logos and icons?

Thanks

Matt Tse Atlassian Team Aug 01, 2019

Hey @Chris Glynne ,

Thanks for checking out the prototype! To answer your questions:

• Both our Jira and Confluence teams are exploring this further and have more testing that we'd like to do to ensure it meets the needs & expectations of our users. There are no expected timelines as to when the plugin will stop being supported, so you're welcomed to keep it on for now, in addition to sharing it more broadly with your peers.
  • I can't guarantee any plans on making the extension respect the look & feel customizations that may have been set up already, but I'll definitely feed that back into the team for consideration. 

Last but not least, I'd love to better understand why you like the top navigation more. Could you tell me more?

Cheers,

Matt

HI @Matt Tse - This is a step in the right direction in my opinion.  I have a couple of comments"

1. The navigation feedback link takes me to a google form that assumes I'm uninstalling the extension when in fact I just want to - you know - give some feedback. :)
    2019-08-05_15-18-23.png
  2. I feel the app switcher should live to the left of the Application logo.  That makes it reasonably close to it's current placement so as to make it more easily discoverable (and also similar to the old placement).

Thanks for the opportunity to test and explore!

Like Matt Tse likes this
Matt Tse Atlassian Team Aug 07, 2019

Hi @Michael Kuhl -Bob Swift Atlassian Apps- ,

Thanks for trying out the extension!

Regarding your first comment, that sounds most certainly like a bug. Just to clarify - by "navigation feedback link", you are referring to the Navigation Feedback item in the navigation bar yes? If so, it should be rendering this modal when you click it:

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 1.50.44 pm.png 

And regarding #2, thanks for sharing your feedback around this. I'll pass this along to our team for consideration.

Feel free to share this extension with any peers/colleagues you may have. We want to get as much feedback as possible about this!

Cheers,

Matt

@Matt Tse Yes, on the nav bar. 

Testing some more I also discovered that when I disable the new nav for Jira or Confluence (not disabling or removing the extension) it takes me to the same form immediately in the same (incorrect) manner.  In that case I was just switching back and forth in order to compare them.

Comment

Community showcase
Published in Jira

Big refresh for Jira Software Cloud’s Public roadmap

It’s been a busy year in 2019 so far! There has been a lot of innovation happening in Jira Software Cloud, from new features in next-gen to Jira Software Premium to brand new integrations. Get the fu...

88 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you