Worst Jira Admin Contest: Wrong Docs, Apps, and an AI Warning

Mistake 11

Have you ever wasted time using the wrong information? Are users requesting to add incompatible apps? Are you getting config advice from ChatGPT? Here’s what you need to know:

Correct Documentation

Official product documentation is available at: https://confluence.atlassian.com. The documentation includes information for end users and a handy guide specifically for administrators.

It’s important to know that there are multiple Jira application types and multiple deployment types. They are:

Deployment Types

• Cloud

• Server [DECOMMISSIONED]

• Data Center

Application Types

• Jira Work Management (Cloud)

• Jira Core (Server and Data Center)

• Jira Software

• Jira Service Management

• Jira Product Discovery (Cloud)

Versions

352de5d7-09f6-456f-9156-f1b3bac5261c.png

Additionally, documentation in Server and Data Center is categorized by version.

I spent two days reading the documentation for the wrong version. (No wonder things weren't matching up!)

Always make sure you and your users are reading the right information and considering compatible apps for your application type, deployment type, and version.

Artificial Intelligence

Bonus tip: Additionally, be slightly skeptical of information provided by artificial intelligence. One of my clients likes to ask ChatGPT Jira configuration questions. Three times they’ve received incorrect instructions! I’m glad I was there to refute the information.

Back to intro and mistakes list

1 comment

Jennifer D Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 18, 2024

Repeating the ChatGPT warning: I like to think of those responses as prop text for a television show.

They look like instructions at a glance on screen, but if you read them you'll find that they're just a document that mimics the technical writing style of real documentation.

I've seen it completely confabulate screens and menu options, and of course when it does get something correct it is just as subject to mixing up data center and cloud info as any user with Google access.

Like Rachel Wright likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events