Use Compass components in Jira Software to understand the impact of your team's work

29 comments

Katie Silver
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2024

Hi @Mario Cappellano , unfortunately not yet! I would love to add Compass to service-type projects. I would encourage you to comment in the Jira Service Management community group with the feature request. I'll add it on my side, but we will need the JSM team to prioritize it as well as us. 

Like Mario Cappellano likes this
Taylor Ralston
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 26, 2024

@Katie Silver Currently I use Jira Components in a system implementation project (JSW) where we are implementing a vendor software package (not developing in house). I use components to categorize our work based on the "aspect" of the software, rather than actual modules, libraries, services, etc. Here are some examples:

• Analytics

• API

• Recipe Authoring

• Business Process

• Collaboration

• Compliance

So in summary, they are more like functional areas or subjects. We do also use components for actual real things, like the software's integrations with external services (e.g. Oracle). 

I'm just concerned that by moving to Compass components, these "aspect" components will not have a place in the new kingdom. And if the do (I've seen the "Capability" and "Other" types), I don't necessarily want them shared across other projects, or even tracked in Compass. I don't need analytics for up/down time, failing tests, etc on those, because they are more about features rather than hard-line boundary systems. Sorry if I'm not making any sense. Do you have any ideas?

Steve_G May 9, 2024

Being able to use both Compass Components and Jira Components is essential for our organization as we manage multiple large initiatives across multiple Value Streams. Compass Components would allow us to create global Components to indicate that Epics and Stories relate to one of these cross-Value Stream initiatives. While Jira Components enable teams to manage their own library of Components that are unique to their work and process.

If you would like to express your interest in an enhancement that would allow Compass Components and Jira Components to coexist, please add your vote to this ticket: JRACLOUD-83736 

Katie Silver
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2024

@Taylor Ralston, sorry for the delay in my reply. 

This is a really good question. You're definitely not alone in your scenario. Totally makes sense the way you described it. 

I think ultimately this is going to come down to how Atlassian defines "Components" going forward. The long term strategy is to evolve Components into this very software-oriented model; that means we will need to find a solution for users like yourself who use Components for a different purpose. 

I'm wondering, have you tried using Custom fields - specifically, an option (select) field? These fields can have different values for different projects. They don't have the built-in automation that the Components field has (Default assignee) but they do work with Automation in Jira as a workaround. 

I'm curious what you think - let me know. We're still working on how to move forward and I want to make sure this use case is addressed appropriately. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events