Unlock the power of search with the new JQL editor

77 comments

Dan August 27, 2021

Now clear up the issues with JQL between epic name and epic link. When I search issues based on epic. I want to export those issues with the epic name.

The link is not meaningful at all to everyone.

Like โ€ข # people like this
Tanya L Christensen August 28, 2021

Is this feature not available for Free Jira instances? I don't seem to have it in my domain. :( 

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2021

Hi Nick and @Darren S_ Eyers that's right we are not extending the JQL grammar in this release. 

@Timothy Bassett thank you for that suggestion, that's a great idea and we do have it in the backlog, we'll see when we could potentially bring it to life.

@Tony Nathan we are planning to land this in Advanced next year.

@Dipak Naokar thank you for flagging that ticket. It's on our long term backlog, we do not have a set timeline for adding that feature yet. 

@Eilif Johansen Yes

@Mark Kassar , you need to rewrite the query in the new JQL editor that is available in the "Issues" tab in your projects. This feature is deployed on all cloud instances

Dan, thank you for the suggestion, we are working on cleaning this up eventually.

@Tanya L Christensen - this feature is available on free instances - please check under "Issues" in your projects :) 

Like โ€ข Tanya L Christensen likes this
Uday Joshi August 29, 2021

Great improvements!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Like โ€ข Yerbol Nisanbayev likes this
Mark Kassar August 30, 2021

@Yerbol Nisanbayev I actually created a very simple (new) JQL literally to query the project for all tasks assigned to one person, still the same issue.

Max Wallisch August 30, 2021

can this feature also be used in the "advanced issue search" for searching for tickets and creating filters? or is it just supposed to be used from within the project issues?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2021

@Max Wallisch , there is a lot of questions and answers about this very thing within the comments. Basically it is not there today but is intended to be there but not till next year. 

@Yerbol Nisanbayev , I would recommend adding this information into the main post so that future readers will understand this limitation upfront.

Max Wallisch August 30, 2021

@Jack Brickey thx for the info. maybe add that in the article as well. I did not want to go through 3 pages of comments just to see if that info might be in there somewhere.

Tanya L Christensen August 30, 2021

Thanks @Yerbol Nisanbayev - Thanks.   That's not how I typically search for issues.  I use the Filters at the top of the UI.  Interesting that the feature doesn't work in both places. 

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2021

Hey @Mark Kassar , send me a screenshot or a video of what you are trying to do to ynisanbayev(at)atlassian.com and I'll take a look :)

@Jack Brickey and @Max Wallisch DONE

@Tanya L Christensen we are iteratively building it out, soon enough it will be available in both places and we will have filter support in the better issue navigator too. 

Tom Holden August 30, 2021

This looks great and is nice, but since most of my complex queries are in Sprint Boards or Dashboards I still have the problem of not being able to see  user names for queries. My asking around says that our userbase only uses project queries casually and is mostly using the "Filters" tab for creating queries, it won't be terribly useful and might even confuse some of our more casual Jira users as they see two styles for query creation. I see that I can create the queries in the project page and then copy it to the "Filters" page, but as you stated, it goes back to the terrible user ID string.

I will advertise is to the user base after you get the most important part of search in this new mode. Please hurry.

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2021

I guess user names in search/filters are a bad practice. Imagine the person you have on dashboards leaves your company. Information will become irrelevant and you will need to find all places where the person is mentioned (using GUID, not his name) and replace him with someone else. It is a nightmare. 

Using groups is more convenient. I have groups for most teams even if team consists of one person. Moreover user can be in several groups. On project level I use roles based permission scheme. This is perfect for sharing project settings in case team stops working on one product and begins working on another. Or we have several teams which make similar projects. I just copy project settings and voila - it is ready for work.

Mark Kassar August 31, 2021

@Yerbol Nisanbayev I have sent you a video by email.

Thanks

Mark

Tom Holden August 31, 2021

@Sergei Gridnevskii  We do use groups and roles most extensively for our company wide filters that are developed by the admins. However, for the bulk of users, I don't believe that they can see the member list of any of the groups and so they don't use these. Does anyone have a simple way for typical users to see the group membership lists? Additionally, only admins can create groups. I think that we have taught our project managers and project admins to use roles for filters in their specific projects and so the obsolescence of filters for individual names in them is in decent shape. 

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
August 31, 2021

@Mark Kassar thank you, responded :) 
@Tom Holden you are right that we need the same functionality in filters in advanced search and we will bring it on board next year - we are currently working on it. We are shipping these changes step by step iteratively to learn from what customers tell us and build the capacity to replace advanced search and filters with this new better experience. 

Dyego Mota September 27, 2021

now can I use "resolvedDate > DueDate"?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2021

@Dyego Mota  , the ability to perform date comparison is not part of the functionality described here. If this is a comparison that you need to do frequently you might consider using automation along with a custom field. The way this would work is that once an issue is resolved it would trigger an automation rule which would then perform the comparison of the two dates and set the custom field accordingly. Then you can use the custom field in your JQL query. 

Dyego Mota September 28, 2021

so simple but not possible :(

Bill Smith December 22, 2021

Subqueries ... need them ! 

Andy Hockenhull December 24, 2021

Hello - is the new JQL editor avaialble for JSM cloud?

jshippy February 3, 2022

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?selectedProduct=jiraService

Per the roadmap, this should be in Jira Service Management cloud, yet we're not seeing it. Can we get some love?

Like โ€ข Jack Brickey likes this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
February 3, 2022

Hi @Andy Hockenhull and @jshippy thank you for your interest in the JQL editor. It is currently only available in the new issue navigator, which in JSM cloud is only available to guest users without a JSM license - regular users get Queues instead.

Good news is it's coming to all user in JSM cloud, as the Advanced search will be replaced with the new issue navigator, this process will start in Q2 this year and will gradually continue into the next year. 

Wojtek Urbanski March 7, 2022

It doesn't work in board settings when adding quick filters.

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
March 7, 2022

@Wojtek Urbanski , the new JQL editor is not yet available in board settings, but we are working on getting it there and we have plans to extend it to more places in Jira. 

Kevin Gรฉrard December 30, 2022

Hi, 

will this be implemented in the 'Advanced Issue search' page? I've got some problems with user query's that replace the value with the user ID, making it unreadable in later use. 

I really need some more specific functions as well, this is really not good enough...

i'm talking about subqueries like issues in Epic/task & subquery functionality. 

It's not impossible as there are already addons doing exactly that. The down side there is that you can't use them in other addons....

Any idea if this is coming soon?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events