Spring Cleaning for Jira

58 comments

Tanya C April 6, 2019

Cleaner for Jira is now called Optimizer for Jira.  It's great!  They've added board activity/last used and it's really helpful for killing boards.  :)

Also - of note when cleaning/deleting projects.  There are often filters and agile boards that are left not functioning. The Configuration Manager app has an integrity checker that finds these.  Some can be fixed easily - others take more time.

Like EMILIE SOREL likes this
Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2019

Thanks for this awesome checklist!

Tanya C July 26, 2019

For those watching this...

We are using the version of Jira Data Center that allows you to archive projects.  (We have about 1500 projects - 1.7million issues at this time) When house keeping you SHOULD NOT remove/delete custom fields that appear to be unused via the Optimizer (Cleaner) for Jira display.  The Archived projects are blocking the issues from being see in the issue cache and Optimizer appears to only show cached issues and projects information.  Please be careful.

I have an archive cycle:

1. Find projects that are inactive for 90+ days
  2. Configuration Manager 'snapshot' them (one by one)
  3. Change the Permissions scheme to a global admin only view/manage permission
  4. Archive the project (this part is new)
  5. Start a 30 day clock in case customers discover they want to unarchive we can get it back online quickly

... now the 'fun'

While the projects are locked down/archived I can't do any 'house keeping' AT ALL - using Optimizer or not - because I don't know if the archived projects use the scheme/field/workflow etc.  

1. When the 30 days is up we now have to unarchive the project and:
  2. Export the issues to CSV
  3. Delete associated Agile boards (so they aren't 'beheaded')
  4. Delete the project.

Unarchiving requires you re-index the project.  This adds time and delay the final desire to delete the project.  

I'm struggling to decide if we do the Project Archive or not.   It keeps issues (in our case 20k-30k) out of the overall re-index which makes it faster but the overhead in unarchiving, reindexing the project before I can delete it along with the limitation of no housekeeping is frustrating.  I'm not sure Project Archive is worth it.

If you think this comment should be a separate thread let me know and I'll elevate it to one. ... or write up a full article. 

Cheers - Tanya

Nadia August 5, 2020

Awesome article! 

Richard Bone September 16, 2020

Anyone have any ideas on how to avoid orphaned database objects like personal filters, dashboards, and other object references when someone has left the confines of my Jira domain? Since I use AD for authentication, the only thing I can thing of is to try to get an early warning before the user is actually removed from the AD group, and subsequently gets the [X] after their username in Jira. 

TIA

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

I know this post is old, but it's been incredibly helpful for me!  I already have a process I go through, but to have everything organized like this is a lifesaver.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2021

@Kristin Lyons I'm glad this has been helpful! In the years since this was originally published, I've joined Atlassian and helped review a more comprehensive "official" Atlassian cleanup guide, based largely off this article. You can check out the official guide here as it goes into more detail and covers Confluence and Bitbucket Server, in addition to Jira.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

Loving this blast from the past - surprised I've never encountered this article! 🧼

Like Daniel Eads likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events