Next-gen projects "Features" project setting

402 comments

Max Connolly
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 23, 2018

Thanks @Patrick Thompson !!

Danielle October 23, 2018

@Hannah McKenzieI would love to use this new feature but I do not see "Features" in the "Project Settings" area. Please advise.

patrickt010
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2018

@shakeel You can bulk move issues from a classic project to a next-gen project. 

@Darío Muñoz@daniel.alvarez Yes, we plan on adding support for users to manage Versions/Releases in the next-gen project. 

@danielle Are you working with a next-gen project? If you're working with a classic project Features will not show up in project settings. 

Karen Goeller October 23, 2018

@Patrick Thompson If bulk-moving issues from classic to next-gen, however,  you cannot seem to associate them with an Epic in the Next-Gen project.  I had previously inquired about this without a response, so if I'm wrong, PLEASE tell me.  That's our biggest hold-up in working with next-gen.

Shakeel Shaik October 23, 2018

@Patrick Thompson Thank you. I will try that today and will let you know how it goes.

patrickt010
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2018

@Karen Goeller You can assign stories to an epic in a next-gen project by finding the (...) menu on the issue in the backlog or from the board and clicking on 'Assign to epic'. You can select multiple items on the backlog and click on the (...) menu to assign multiple stories to an epic. A neat feature that is not as discoverable is if you filter to an epic on the board or the backlog and you create a story it is automatically linked to that epic. We are working on improving the discoverability of this as well. Keep the feedback coming! 

Paul Alexandru Zah October 24, 2018

Placing the Epic management interfaces (`Add to Epic` \ `Change Epic` ) only in the `Backlog` \ `Sprint` views is extremely counter-intuitive (actually raised a bug as I thought this functionality was broken). Please add them back into the `Issue` view as that is when one would normally define them (ie, when defining a ticket or when investigating / classifying it)

Gethin Oakes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 24, 2018

Just testing out the new version, can't seem to create sub-tasks at all, there is no option or area for it as shown in the video demo.

Danielle October 24, 2018

@Patrick Thompson thanks for pointing that out. I believe i'm looking at a "Classic Project". Do you know how I get the "Next Gen Project" started?

patrickt010
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2018

@Paul Alexandru Zah Yep, we hear you loud and clear and the ability to assign an epic is coming to the issue view ASAP. 

@Gethin Oakes Yep, subtasks is currently being worked on. You can check out our public roadmap at https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software

@Danielle Yep, we have instructions for getting started creating next-gen projects here.

Danielle October 24, 2018

@patrickt010 thanks so much!!

Nikolay Bonev October 26, 2018

I love the direction this is going in. THings need to be simpler rather than more complex in my opinion, however it seems like some basic features are missing that I see as key, namely statuses. I haven't found a way to create a status "Closed" that marks issues as resolved.

Ronald Vallenduuk October 26, 2018

@Nikolay Bonev If simpler means easier to use then I agree. If simpler means dumbed down as seems to be the case here then I don't agree.

I really don't get where this is going. First this 'Next-gen' project is introduced as something simple that everyone can create. Then everyone is complaining about their favourite feature that is missing from this next-gen thing. So now what? Add all the features that proper projects have until you get to the point where next-gen is the same as current-gen project? What's the point?

Yes, make things easy to use for new users but stop taking away or hiding advanced features that experienced users love and use.

Nikolay Bonev October 26, 2018

Ronald Vallenduuk yep, easier to use is exactly what I meant. And the whole modular part is what I like. As a person who is new to Jira, the classic one can be so confusing and such an overkill sometimes.

Shirali Shah
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 26, 2018

Is there a plan to be able to import epics from another project into your new roadmap project?

Makson Serpa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 26, 2018

Hey guys, newbie here. I'm not finding any way to enable sub-tasks as I saw in the video. Does anyone know how to do that?
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 15.18.48.png

Kim Hinson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 26, 2018

I understand that the DONE items are not displayed after 14 days, and you are working on a way to manually move them off of the Kanban Board view, but on the Backlog Page, is there any way to remove the DONE items from the items showing on the BOARD?  

Fabio Mariotti
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 28, 2018

I was not sure if to add a comment or not. I read the first page and the first 3 pages of comments.

The others I had to give up due to time. My time.

This is probably why JIRA still has people questioning. I am one of them.

If you cannot handle a forum, why are you supposed to handle a bunch of hermitical engineers?

patrickt010
Atlassian Team
October 28, 2018

@Nikolay Bonev The last column on the board has the resolution status, so by default issues moved to the 'Done' column will be marked as resolved. If you create a new column called 'Closed' and that is the farthest most right column tickets added to that column will be marked as resolved. 

@Shirali Shah We have plans in the future of allowing you to migrate classic projects to next-gen, including migrating Epics. Epics in next-gen projects are built from the ground up and are managed as an issue type, this offers a lot of advantages that were missing in classic projects. 

@Makson Serpa Subtasks are coming soon! atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software

@Kim Hinson Not at this time, we will be addressing this as part of manually being able to clear your work. 

@Fabio Mariotti I'm curious at what questions you have? Anything we can help with? 

Patrick Gates
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 29, 2018

Great work so far! I'd like to cast my vote for the following features:

1. Textarea fields, preferably with a limited WYSIWYG (the one I'm using to type this comment would be perfect). 
  2. Allow users to append fields to the issue body (i.e. below the Description field) instead of the right side panel. Fields with longer text values don't fit comfortably in the right side panel (e.g. Acceptance Criteria).
Deleted user October 29, 2018

Hi, is there a way to use roadmaps across multiple projects, rather than just multiple epics?

Marina Vytovtova October 30, 2018

How would you recommend dealing with releases?  We want to release several tickets at once and add release comments to it.

Ronald Vallenduuk October 30, 2018

@Hannah McKenzieWhere is this going? Are these Next-gen projects eventually going to get all the features that the normal projects have? If so, then what's the point? If not, then what exactly is the plan with having two incompatible project types living side by side?

patrickt010
Atlassian Team
October 30, 2018

@Patrick Gates Thanks for the feedback I've shared it with the team! 

@[deleted] Not at the moment, but this is something that we will be looking at in the future. 

@Marina Vytovtova This isn't the easiest thing to do at the moment and we are looking at ways to improve it. If you're using Sprints, when you complete a sprint you'd be able to go to search and filter to your sprint with resolution 'done' and bulk edit to add a comment. Else you might be able to get away with adding a release label to each issue so that you can bulk edit to add a comment. We're working on adding some improvements to clearing the done column as well in the near future. 

@Ronald Vallenduuk We're looking at the jobs to be done that software teams have and baking those into next-gen projects. This means that while we might not build each feature exactly as it exists in classic we want to make sure teams can get their jobs done well. We're taking the time to think through how we can improve the overall experience. What you see today is just the beginning as we are constantly adding more capabilities to next-gen projects. Over time we will make it easier for teams to migrate from classic to next-gen projects so that they can take advantage of the new capabilities and improved experience. I'm happy to have a call to discuss in person, feel free to reach out to me at pthompson@atlassian.com. 

Crystal Varela October 31, 2018

I've seen in all the other comments the request for and expectation set of future delivery of both Releases and additional reports in the Reports function. BUT, when I looked at the Roadmap laid out, I don't see either mentioned. WHEN are they coming to the next-gen projects?? These are vital to our business and missing them from our projects makes using JIRA more difficult.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events