👋 Jira Cloud’s old issue view is going away soon

254 comments

Sachin Char
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 28, 2022

I use the old view to Edit fields after the user has created an issue, not all fields are marked as compulsory for the user to fill in, but we need to edit them for our audits and records, the easiest way was to go to "See Old View" and Edit the issue.

How do we see all the fields associated with a particular project after a user has created a JIRA?

Transitioning from one screen to other only displays the fields that are filled out and we don't want to fill NULL values because that will affect our automation.

Like # people like this
Karl Puder December 28, 2022

I don't need to enter my specific complaints about the New View versus the Old View, it has all been said many times in this thread.

What I don't understand is how Atlassian do not understand how to roll out an improved version of a feature. I know of two commonly used ways:

1. Tweak the existing software bit by bit to evolve the improvements. Google have been doing this in GMail for years. They do A/B testing on each variation of a change and use measurements of user behavior to determine which gets the users more quickly to what they want versus which make the users back up and retry to get what they want. They validate each change to determine whether it is in fact an improvement.
  2. Create a totally new version of the software. (Sometimes evolution is not practical and one must simply start from scratch). Provide conversion tools to help users to migrate from their old data and methods to the new ones. Let the users decide when the new version is better for them.
    1. When a large majority of users have switched, sunset support for the old version, perhaps including a release of the code to Open Source for User Groups to continue to maintain for legacy shops that have too many interdependencies to change to the new version.
    2. If very few users choose the new version, then they are telling you that it is not an improvement. Rethink your design. Read about the "sunk cost fallacy" before you make any decisions.
    3. The risk of 2.2 strongly suggests that the new design should include frequent field testing with at least a small but diverse set of customers during design and development.

The third method that Atlassian have chosen for their update to this fundamental interface to JIRA is not commonly used because companies that use it tend to lose customers and become former companies. If you make customers work hard to use your next version, then they will also consider that they could work hard to use someone else's next version.

Like # people like this
Christopher Wagner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 28, 2022

Simply put, do not remove the Old Issue View.  The "new" issue view is still fundamentally broken in several ways.

I really don't understand why Atlassian is OK with becoming a company that is hated by it's user base.

Like # people like this
Jonathan Crockett
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 29, 2022

The "new" view has been and still is unusable. Alone just the WYSIWYG only input is a dealbreaker for me. I input all my stuff at the keyboard or via helper scripts in markdown. I'll be using JIRA even less than I already do. I already have userscripts in place to auto-switch to the old view in order to function. Will definitely never recommend this product in the future. As noted elsewhere this company is famous for ignoring user feedback. Past issues are still open, unresolved, and apparently ignored.

Like # people like this
Jason M. December 29, 2022

High-volume teams that process large numbers of tickets rely on old issue view text markup to quickly update/create/comment tickets. We have a large number of external integrations/automations that create tickets with markup. Markup provides a way to create tables from text input.

The new WYSWIG editor is cumbersome & slows down productivity. Our organization has been strongly relying on the ?oldIssueView=true hack to continue doing so. Heavy users & high-volume teams can't be forced writing & editing descriptions/comments like they're in Microsoft Word. Taking away old issue view w/markup will trash a large percentage of integrations & operations processes! 

What workarounds or solutions can you provide for teams & processes that rely on this ability?

Like # people like this
Erwin Smith December 30, 2022

There has to be a way to keep the old view, I expect others would agree, we don’t need any support or enhancements to that view, so no support is ok.

Like # people like this
Aurelien Gelbart
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 2, 2023

the new view is slow as hell. you can remove the old view when the new view is faster than the old view. otherwise it's a step backwards.

Like # people like this
Trevin Beattie January 2, 2023

I’ve had many issues with the new view and can’t remember them all, but a few things that come to mind are:

• Lack of any way to directly enter markdown, as many others have noted.  This is important not just because typing markdown characters is faster than using a mouse to select formatting options, but also because some formatting options and macros I frequently use aren’t even available in the WYSIWYG editor.
  • Pasting text from other sources into the WYSIWYG editor sometimes adds formatting when it isn’t wanted or changes the formatting incorrectly.
  • A lot of markdown formatting entered using the old view doesn’t render correctly in the new view.  Case in point: in the following sentence “if” and “Optional” are both correctly formatted in monospace font in the old view, while the new view shows the markdown characters around “if” in regular font and yet shows “Optional” in monospace font.
    • instead of using a series of “{{if}}” conditions which would have to traverse the field tree twice, I’m using the {{Optional}} class to handle the check at each step:
  • The new “Log Work” dialog doesn’t provide any means of entering the date & time when work started, which I need to keep track of in case I forget to log time on the same day I did work and have to review my notes to see which dates need to be backfilled.
Like # people like this
Randa Alobayyat
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 2, 2023

@Ahmud AuleearThe error messages in the old view are more precise than the new view (easy to understand), here's an example of the error I get when trying to upload a big file: 

Old View: 

old view.png

New View: 

new view.png

Please take this into account and update the new version errors if possible. Thanks! 

Like # people like this
Adam Parker January 3, 2023

the page view feels so cramped & cluttered with the split scrolling window thing. we should have the option to have one window like how a normal human uses a website.
also remove emote reactions from comments, its not social media

Like # people like this
David Parillo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 3, 2023

Great. Way to make an already lousy product to use even worse.

Like # people like this
Trevin Beattie January 3, 2023

Another shortcoming to add to my list: I don’t have the ability to edit certain details of a ticket in the new view’s right-hand column when the details are hyperlinks and extend the full width of the column.  Attempting to click in the detail field opens the link to the referenced item instead of opening the field for editing.  In the old view, hovering over the field reveals a pencil icon that I can click to make changes; no such button exists in the new view.

Like # people like this
Trevin Beattie January 3, 2023

Another issue: the new editor won’t let me nest a bullet list or code block within a quotation.  This is possible in the old editor:

{quote}These are the points I made:
* Point 1
* Point 2
{code}  print "A sample line of code"{code}
{quote}

(Also, the new view doesn’t render this nesting properly — it shows the bullet list and code block outside of the quotation, when it should be part of the quote.)

Like # people like this
John Rocha January 3, 2023

I know markdown pretty well as well as JIRA markup pretty well.

The new WYSWIG editor isn't even a very good markdown editor. Aside from all the other things mentioned, it doesn't support, nested code blocks such as illustrated below (@Trevin Beattie's comment reminded me of this)

1. Item one

2. Item two

```

This is how markup supports nested code blocks in a list.

```

Like # people like this
Barbara Haggerty
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 3, 2023

I cannot function with the new view.  There is no information pertinent to what I do available.  I need the old view.  I need to be able to upload and download files.  I need to know what the request is for etc.  In essence, the new view is a failure which will make it impossible for me to do my job.

Like # people like this
William January 3, 2023

Good morning ...  It is curious that the removal of the `oldIssueView` is slipped in during the Christmas New Year break when people are occupied with other matters.  There are many valid reasons or shall we say thing to be fixed for the `newIssueView' before swapping it in as the ONLY option.

the major drawback with the new view is that the screen space is severly limited for worklog-s and comments.  At least with the old view, we can open a worklog textarea in a new tab, providing an adequate text entry space.

I've scanned the comments on the first few 'pages' on this topic; most of them are valid comments -- Yet Atlassian has just swept over them.  As I write, there are now 6 'pages' of comments. 

It appears the while the "deadline" for this feature removal approaches the new view is not ready to be deployed.  This change should be rescheduled until the deicencies have been addressed.

Like # people like this
Anil Dasari
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 3, 2023

@Ahmud Auleear In the old view I was able to add my self to the watcher list to see update related to the ticket. I can't this Watch option in the new view or I am not aware of this option in the new view.

Could you please help me identifying if this feature is hidden somewhere? Or is this feature got removed? TIA. 

Boban Tavric January 4, 2023

I have a feeling that the guys who worked on these changes and the new look, have not used the JIRA application before!!! So many illogicalities and endless omissions here!
...many omissions that no one has mentioned here yet!
One thing is obvious, we will not get answers to the questions here!!!

Like # people like this
Jason Gainor January 4, 2023

@Ahmud Auleear When I wear my mouse wheel out from scrolling can a replacement be taken off our bill?

Like # people like this
Peter Scholtens January 4, 2023

I would like to re-iterate the points made by;

* Michael Soulier,

* Brendan Leppert

* Michael Johnson.

For pretty much the same reasons. Please keep old view untill this is fixed!

Like # people like this
Anusha Rutnam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2023

@Hugh Gibson I believe this feature request may be a match for what you described: JRACLOUD-76515 – Have the new view remember the last used issue link option

Matt Chen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 4, 2023

I don't think you solved all the problems. For example, I still can't attach the file already uploaded when trying to leave a comment for the popup window for 'Feedback' or 'Client Verification'. 

Cannot reattach.png

I also found that I can't attach more than 5 attachments in a comment, which I need for my daily work.

Like # people like this
shubham_kharosekar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 4, 2023

Hello team,

Glad that you are thinking if improving things making it faster.

But, there are still some things that we can only see in old view, like activity section of the jira old view is really important and crucial to see who updated what.

If you can include that feature in the new view, I'll gladly let go of the old issue view.

Like # people like this
Brigitte Van Gerven January 5, 2023

If the new view is so configurable, why don't you provide us with a configuration which gives us the old view ? Thanks!

Like # people like this
Mher Aghasyan January 5, 2023

@Anusha Rutnam @Atlassian Team 
you scan and find only few bug fixes and improvements from submitted how many bugs (bugs that you accepted as bug)? I have asked this number from you in my previous post, and you ignored it as usual, since that is all what you could do!
Again if your claim for new view backend is valid then all this bug fixes and improvements clients request could have been done in last year at least, while this your new view in reality as you all see just creates more trouble not only for your clients also for you!  

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events