๐ŸŽŠ Introducing a new issue create experience ๐ŸŽŠ

73 comments

Brad Richards
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 20, 2022

@Sarah Hyne Hey thanks for providing some insight into your testing methods! I'm keen to hear more about the internal expert evaluations against usability heuristics. I'd also be interested to know more about the evaluations with customers... More around the sample size for validating new features, how do you evaluate what sample size would be appropriate? Or do you keep validating features with customers until you stop learning new insights (to an extent obviously)?

The updates look like a good step forward in many ways! I like to see these as quality-of-life updates.

Keep up the great work! 

Like โ€ข # people like this
Matthew McGarity December 20, 2022

@Liron The "3-state issue create experience" isn't entirely-clear to me.

I personally prefer the center-view when creating issues and don't see myself using the bottom-right widget all that much.  From the looks of it, now that there's this new widget, instead of one-click to invoke the new issue form, I now have two clicks to perform โ€” one to click the "Create Issue" button which open the widget, then another click to expand it to center-view.  

Will I have to perform this extra click each-and-every time I want to create a new issue, or will the application remember what view I was last using when I click the "Create Issue" button?

Like โ€ข Neill B likes this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2022

These are really great updates and I will use almost all of them! Thanks for the status update! 

Hector Eduardo Calzada Tenorio December 20, 2022

Good job! I like the changes. I see that when you minimize the issue, it is only visible in the current
tab but if you opened another tab this does not appear, it would be great if it could be seen in all tabs.

Another important change that could be worked on would be to make the site responsive. Our instance is not responsive and that sometimes limits us a lot, specifically when administrators work with ScriptRunner because we don't see all the code. If I am doing something wrong, please let me know.

Thanks for the updates!

Tyler Dalious
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 20, 2022

>Change the default status of newly created issues to either โ€˜In Progressโ€™ or โ€˜Doneโ€™, rather than just โ€˜To doโ€™.

How does this operate? Does this take the issue through transitions to the targeted status? Or does this effectively re-target the "Create" transition to the targeted status?

Joseph Hansbrough December 20, 2022

These are all great improvements. Being able to reference attachments already in the ticket holds a special place in my heart. Thank you!

Like โ€ข Liron likes this
Elyes Gannoun [Elements]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2022

Hello everyone!

First, thanks @Liron and the Atlassian team for all these great features, we are looking forward to using them.

@Bishopjustice , I too, am pleased to see the inline editing available directly in the backlog, I believe this would be a great time saver. 

At Elements, where I work as a Product Manager, we developed a complementary app, Elements Overview, that allows you to inline edit related issues in the context of an issue: it can be linked issues or even issues matching a dynamic JQL.

Moreover, you can display any custom field you like of related issues, and also edit them from the current issue.

In this example, we chose to display 6 fields, and inline edit the due date directly from an overview:

Elements Overview inline date editing.png

If any further information is needed, you can @ me here, or schedule a quick call if necessary. 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2022

@Liron - Collectively, these are a gigantic leap forward in terms of UX for Jira Cloud. Looking forward to impressing my (Cloud) users! ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Thank you!

Krzysiek Czuba December 21, 2022

This is great! I have been looking for that feature.

There is just one glich โ€” it doesn't work, at least in Microsoft Edge. When you click Minimize or the other Resize button, modal disappears completly. When you click "Create" one more time, there is message with "back to edit" option.

briggity-wells December 21, 2022

@Liron thank you for the updated features. Are there plans to change who you can assign an issue to without it being assigned to yourself first if I already know who the ticket needs to be assigned to? From my limited experience, I have had to assign an issue to myself first prior to moving it to someone else. If there are other ways of accomplishing this, please let me know.

Kasun Udara Perera
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 21, 2022

Awesome features. Thanks @Liron 

Carla Ancora
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 22, 2022

I love the minimize/maximize option for the issue create modal ๐Ÿ˜ It will save me a lot of time!!

Thank you so much!

Liron
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2022

@Ravid ื—ื’ ืฉืžื—! 

Like โ€ข Ravid likes this
Liron
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2022

@briggity-wells - as far as I know you are able to assign an issue to whoever you want, you do not need to assign to yourself first.

@Krzysiek Czuba - I will pass this onto our dev team, sorry you are experiencing this!

@Matthew McGarity hey, the global create modal should always open in a centre modal view and only then you can minimize or dock it. 

Like โ€ข Matthew McGarity likes this
Krzysiek Czuba December 22, 2022

@Liron Thank you. I can provide screen recording if needed.

Dmytro
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 22, 2022

Please add comment threads to issues and checkboxes (to-do's) to issue descriptions!

Allan Hernandez December 23, 2022

Nice summary, thanks!

saleh hameed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 26, 2022

I am a begginner, I learnt alot of things and still learning from Jira.

Thanks for the help.

Halyna Kudlak _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 27, 2022

Great to see the updates to the Jira issue creation experience! Looking forward to trying out the new features. Thanks for sharing!

Claas GroรŸ
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 2, 2023

Great new features ๐Ÿ‘

Marc Wรผrth
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 5, 2023

@Lironthank you very much for these useful features.

For some, such as "Reference attachments" I have eagerly waited so long, as I often reference already uploaded attachments in my issue comments.

I was wondering though, why did you choose to launch all these features at once in one rather big feature set instead of in smaller iterations? Wouldn't that have led to some of them being available sooner?

Lastly, a small feature proposal:

Additionally, to the "Assign to Me" option, we would love to have a "Unassign" option as short cut, as this is a very common process in our projects.
Certainly, that does make sense for projects/companies which allow to have unassigned issues, only.

Ted Chen
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2023

Hi @Krzysiek Czuba I'm one of the developers working on this feature and would love to help out.

I was looking into this issue, and am having trouble reproducing your issue on Microsoft Edge. Could you let me know what version of Edge and what OS you are using? A screen recording would be perfect as well.

Thanks!

Sarah Hyne
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2023

@Yatish Madhav โ€“ If you're interested in being part of testing new features, you can sign up to our Atlassian Research Group where you will be invited to participate in upcoming research. Participation is voluntary, and you can opt-out at any time.

@Brad Richards โ€“ The internal evaluations we run use the PURE methodology. We also run reviews of key workflows using an internal scorecard. Both methods have a crew of cross-functional Atlassians taking part. Around sample size, "it depends" is the answer! It depends on how many customer segments we need to test with, and how confident we are with the solution we've come up with. In any given round of research we would, as you said, stop once we keep hearing the same feedback. We might conduct many rounds of research as we iteratively design and test a solution to a problem. Hope that answers your questions!

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2023

Super! Thanks for that @Sarah Hyne and for your comment @Brad Richards - the heuristics and the process followed is insightful! Esp coming from a background where were also support our customers (internally and externally)

I have also signed up for hte research group. Looking forward!

Brad Richards
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 10, 2023

@Sarah Hyne  Thanks for the insightful response! I've definitely heard about PURE although I've never used the method in a live environment before so I'd be keen to eventually try it on my side. I'm going to do further reading on the topic! Reviews of key workflows also sound interesting.

The sample size conditions make complete sense. Once again thanks for clarifying and answering my questions. ๐Ÿ™‚

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events