Calling all admins! How do you teach Jira to your organization?

Hi Jira Admins!

Do you feel like you have everything you need to set your teams up for success in Jira? If we could provide you with any new resources, what would they be and why?

My team is working on exactly this and would love to hear from you in the comments! Let me know what you'd like us to work on first. 

Thanks in advance!

7 comments

Jonathan Blackburn May 21, 2024

Tend to start with the structure outside of Jira on a whiteboard - projects, issues, fields, workflow, filters and boards.
Then show them this in Jira with a real project with myself going through the usual scenarios of create, search and edit.
I then get them to do it over the next few interactions I have with them. I do this as a silent observer to check what they naturally do and see if they've understood the core concepts

I find the biggest issue for most first timers is understanding the core constructs. We use a lot of words that aren't really self-explanatory to someone who's new to work management software. 
Secondly we all tend to configure our instances quite differently - some organizations really do make it quite complicated so it's hard to learn everything quickly.

First time users could be be provided with optional in-app guidance as they carry out the first core jobs. This could be enhanced further if there's a linked knowledge base to explain any of the project/org-specific configurations e.g. workflow logic or example issues to show what a good user story looks like.

Finally - could be interesting to track the activity for new users, product analytics basically. Are there any ways we can identify those who are having difficulty.

Like # people like this
Sara Tucker May 22, 2024

Huge +1 on the comment regarding core constructs and lexicon. Things like understanding a "project" in Jira is can be a big detractor since project has a very different meaning everywhere else (I try to label it as a workspace for them to help explain it). The concept of Epic tends to trip people up as well. 

Another thing I struggle with is getting them the right level/detail based on how they will be using Jira. Because Jira has so much flexibility (which I love - don't get me wrong), it can be an added complexity for those that are working within different types of Jira projects (company vs team managed, software vs business vs service, plus the individual configs within each project) 

Like Abby Stiris likes this
Sara Tucker May 22, 2024

Huge +1 on the comment regarding core constructs and lexicon. Things like understanding a "project" in Jira is can be a big detractor since project has a very different meaning everywhere else (I try to label it as a workspace for them to help explain it). The concept of Epic tends to trip people up as well. 

Another thing I struggle with is getting them the right level/detail based on how they will be using Jira. Because Jira has so much flexibility (which I love - don't get me wrong), it can be an added complexity for those that are working within different types of Jira projects (company vs team managed, software vs business vs service, plus the individual configs within each project). It can be a lot to try and take on to learn all of those differences plus the project specific configurations - usually I end up skipping the overview and just get them into the specifics of the project/s they will be working within to start. Then circle back to the overview level. 

Abby Stiris
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2024

Thanks @Jonathan Blackburn! I love that you start with a simple breakdown of the structure. Really great feedback about in-product guidance and analytics.

If you or anyone reading this would be open to chatting about this in more depth on a call, just like this comment 👍 and I'll reach out! 

Like Jonathan Blackburn likes this
Abby Stiris
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2024

Totally makes sense, thank you for sharing @Sara Tucker! And would love to chat as well! Let me know if you'd like me to reach out to schedule a call.

Like Sara Tucker likes this
Sara Tucker May 24, 2024

Sorry for the double post! The page didn't show my post so I thought it didn't go through and did it again 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

@Abby Stiris  Yes! Would be happy to chat more! 

kiloped743
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 14, 2024

Any other general tips or considerations I should keep in mind when selecting construction materials for this renovation project?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events