Buyer’s Guide for JMWE and your Jira workflow automation needs

Designing and successfully implementing a business process is no small task. A great process aims to streamline tasks, ensure they are done correctly and promptly, and that all required information is recorded and made available to the right stakeholders during the right step of a workflow. 

Fundamentally, the success of the process depends on how well the project’s workflow is executed. It should be easy for people to follow. It should be repeatable - new team members should be able to follow it with minimal training to ensure that things don’t fall through the cracks. That’s why many Jira administrators turn to workflow automation to get things done. 

You can start automating your team’s processes - even if they have not yet been perfected - as soon as you create your Jira project, and you can optimize it based on feedback from the field. This robustness is what makes Jira so powerful. Jira Software is a proven super tool for software development, while Atlassian’s new Jira Service Management enables companies to leverage its low-code environment to deploy and refine ITSM processes and even business processes for non-IT teams. Business teams, such as legal, HR, and finance, can build their service operations to be more efficient, more productive, and more customer-focused.

However, while at the heart of Jira is its powerful and flexible workflow engine, you will often find that you need additional functionality for effective automation. For example, you might need conditional approval or a different process to be implemented for items pertaining to one type of issue - or budget, department, role, product - but not another. Additional workflow extensions are offered by third-party workflow apps sold through the Atlassian Marketplace can help you automate more of your Jira processes. 

Jira Misc Workflow Extensions (JMWE) from the Innovalog team (and I am a part of this team),  provides an extensive set of workflow extensions - post functions, conditions, and validators - plus other features. While this “Buyer’s Guide: How to choose the best workflow app” explains how JMWE might fit your needs and why you might care about its unique approach, it will also help you choose the right option for you. The nine questions provided will help you evaluate other Jira workflow automation apps you have shortlisted. 

I hope it can also help you clarify your top priorities and provide a base for you to influence other decision-makers on your team, whether their goals are the same or different.

Explore the Buyer’s guide here

View it in the PDF format

Only you or your team are truly aware of your priorities and key challenges, what problems you are trying to solve, and how you plan to use Jira to help you with all that. Whether it is for Jira Software or Jira Service Management, in Cloud, Server, or Data Center, make sure you choose the right app for your needs. 

This Buyer’s Guide and the table provided in it are by no means all-encompassing. However, we try to offer you some relevant information to help you decide what apps might solve your automation needs. We do hope you consider JMWE to be a strong contender.

2 comments

Deleted user December 7, 2020

@Inna Gordin 

I recently discovered your plugin thanks to @Rynder Roy Klompbook (Jira More https://amzn.to/37Ey4dW where it talks about another one of your plugins). I'm learning how to use JMWE plugin in cloud environment where I decided to focus my work for the next years. The possibility to insert conditional rules, without programming, in my opinion covers a gap that exists in Jira's basic workflows compared to BPMN notation for example. Good work then. Thank you.

Inna Gordin December 18, 2020

@[deleted] Super! Thank you for your comment!

Comment