Announcement: Introducing two new permissions to replace Browse Projects permission

53 comments

Paul Campbell September 13, 2022

"As an admin, if you don't take any action, nothing should break."

Our permissions have been broken due to this change.  We use a custom field to grant internal users permissions to view an Issue and for a department to @ them in the comments of the ticket.

We are disallowed from using the same "User custom field value" in "View Projects" now. We can no longer @ mention our teammates in the comments of a ticket but they can view the Issue.
(I already have a support ticket open on the matter)
See image attached:

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 3.13.14 PM.png

Like John Funk likes this
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2022

I'm sensing a pattern here. First the OpsGenie change that that presented and then postponed due to user complaints https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Opsgenie-articles/Update-We-are-re-evaluating-escalation-limits-in-Opsgenie/ba-p/2128161 and now this.

I think atlassian needs to take a long hard look at how they develop new "features" and how they present them to the customers. Maybe concentrate on fixing the bugs that users want fixed first.

Like # people like this
Paula Hidalgo September 20, 2022

@Varad Pingale - Please help clarify what will happen for the various use cases below.  Make corrections to the table where my assumptions are wrong.  I need to understand how these permissions interact with issue-level security.  Can issue-level security override "View Issues" permission (i.e. user does not have "View Issues" permission is permitted access to a specific issue via the issue-level security scheme) ?

Example Project XYZ

• has project key of XYZ
  • issue XYZ-1 Summary is "Plan team work" and no issue-level security
  • issue XYZ-2 Summary is "Plan top secret team work" and has issue-level security = Top Secret
  • No other issues on the cloud have the word "team" (or variant) in the Summary field
 View Project = Yes
View Issues = Yes
View Project = Yes
View Issues = No
View Project = No
View Issues = Yes
View Project = No
View Issues = No
Project is listed in Project DirectoryYesYesNoNo
Able to select project in dropdowns?YesYesNoNo
JQL: project = XYZIssues in XYZ returnedNo issues returnedThe value 'XYZ' does not exist for the field 'project'The value 'XYZ' does not exist for the field 'project'
JQL: issue = XYZ-1Issue XYZ-1 returnedIssue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it.Issue XYZ-1 returnedIssue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it.
JQL: issue = XYZ-2
User does not have "Top Secret" permission
Issue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it.Issue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it.Issue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it.Issue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it.
JQL: issue = XYZ-2
User DOES have "Top Secret" permission
Issue XYZ-2 returnedIssue XYZ-2 returnedIssue XYZ-2 returnedIssue XYZ-2 returned
JQL: summary ~ team
User does not have "Top Secret" permission
Issue XYZ-1 returnedNo issues returnedIssue XYZ-1 returnedNo issues returned
JQL: summary ~ team
User DOES have "Top Secret" permission
Issue XYZ-1 and XYZ-2 returnedIssue XYZ-2 returnedIssue XYZ-1 and XYZ-2 returnedIssue XYZ-2 returned

cc: @Jessica Ray 

Like serge calderara likes this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

@Varad Pingale 

Is the View Projects permission actually plural, or singular? 

As in, if not applied in project A, but applied in project B, does that mean they can not find project A in the Project directory/JQL etc. but can find project B and any other projects they happen to have the view projects permission for?

If by change, a User ends up not having the View Projects permission in any projects, does that mean they cannot see any projects at all in Jira?

Sorry, but I'll admit, I'm somewhat confused about a  "Viewing Projects" permission that is configured at the project level....unless it is only about that project.

Andre Schmidt September 20, 2022

Great news!

Eglė Kaziulionytė September 20, 2022

One more place for admins to troubleshoot access problems... Security levels, "View issue" permission, what else will come?... :/ 

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2022

This view Project and Browse project separation permission is absolutly of  non sens and not logic at all.

This is absolutly stupid to have a Brwose Project permission set just to list project in jQL while you will not be able to see the return isssue of that project if you do not have the View issue pernission set as you describe.

I am sorry to say again but I wonder where and how sometime you team gets such basic reflexion which bring no added value at all.

A single permission of View project would have been more than enough.

I would be interresting to know the use case where you have only the View Project permission and only the Vie Issue perimission

That will be a big mess if you have project with issue security restriction.

@Varad Pingale think twice before implementing new feature and have more open mind. Better concentrate on bug fixing that people are waiting to be solve instead of implementing such uselesss feature at this point with so few reflexion

Like Ales Janzekovic likes this
Patrick Vijgeboom September 21, 2022

Question: We still have the Server edition of Jira. Will these new permissions also be available for Server?

S Fong September 27, 2022

I don't see this change in my Jira Cloud instance.  When will it roll out?

Thanks,

Sylvia

Leo Diaz _ DEISER
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2022

Hi @Varad Pingale 

Are there any updates?

Cheers,

Leo

Varad Pingale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2022

Hey @Leo Diaz _ DEISER @S Fong 

Thank you for the follow-up, and apologies for the delay in reply.

Our team is still evaluating the comments on this post, ensuring we are addressing them before rolling out the change.

Thus, the rollout is paused at the moment, and you might not see the change in your instances.

I will post an update on the release of this change by 6th Oct'22.

Kindly bear with me till then. Thanks for your patience.

Like Leo Diaz _ DEISER likes this
Varad Pingale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2022

Update on the above announcement:

On Aug 16, 2022, we announced “Introducing two new permissions to replace Browse Projects permission“. It was planned to be released by end of September 2022.

We’ve since received feedback from many of you on this being a fundamental change in how permissions behave, and requirement of more notice period to comprehend the change. As a result, we have decided to NOT rollout this change on Jira Cloud for next 6 months, till 31st March’23.

This means, Browse projects permission will continue to work as it is, and the two new permissions won’t be introduced.

Meanwhile, our team will evaluate the different cases mentioned in the comments to ensure all of them are addressed properly. We will inform you well in advance about the revised timeline of the rollout.

Thank you for your feedback and apologies for any confusion caused by the earlier announcement.

If you have any questions, please drop them in the comments section. We will keep you posted.

I will also update the article to reflect this change.

Thank You

Like # people like this
Lars Fessler October 5, 2022

Hi @Varad Pingale

we would dy to have these two distinctive permissions in Data Center. It would really help us to juggle sensitive projects - even their names are sensitive - and the ability to assign some tasks of these projects to people who are otherwise not participating in the project.

As it is now to do this you have to change project permissions to let these people browse the project instead of simply assigning the issue after having properly configured issue security once.

We would really appreciate if you would consider porting this change to Data Center.

Best Regards,

Lars

Like # people like this
Varad Pingale
Atlassian Team
October 6, 2022

Sure @Lars Fessler 
I will convey this requirement to the Jira Data Center team.

Thanks

Paula Hidalgo October 6, 2022

@Varad Pingale - Will REST API be updated to include the two new permission parameters as well?

The built in Jira permissions listed in the Get all permission schemes will need to include both the new permissions, for example VIEW_PROJECTS and VIEW_ISSUES.  More importantly permission schemes can set the 2 new permissions via the Update permission scheme

@Jessica Ray 

Lars Fessler October 7, 2022

Hi @Varad Pingale

thank you! :-)

Varad Pingale
Atlassian Team
October 9, 2022

Hi @Paula Hidalgo 

Thank you for the questions.

I will get back to you on the various cases you mentioned around the new permissions.

Regarding the REST API - Yes, they will be updated to include the two new permission parameters.

Rick Westbrock February 28, 2023

Is this still slated to start rolling out on March 31 (one month from now)?

Thomas Berger March 8, 2023

I'm also curious if the March 31 2023 as golive date still stands? @Varad Pingale 

Varad Pingale
Atlassian Team
March 8, 2023

Hi @Rick Westbrock , @Thomas Berger 

We are in process of fixing the cases mentioned in earlier comments.

Given the change's complexity, we expect some more delay in the rollout.

Thus, the timeline can be extended beyond 31st March 2023. We will share the update about that by next week.

Ben Romberg - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 24, 2023

@Varad Pingale "next week" has passed and it would be good to get an update since March 31st is only 1 week away. Please also update your post on the developer community, thanks!

Like # people like this
Varad Pingale
Atlassian Team
March 27, 2023

Update on above announcement:

We had earlier announced that “Introduction of two new permissions to replace Browse Project permission” was planned for release on 31st March ’23. Since then, our customers and partners have raised a few questions regarding the rollout, which we are still in the process of addressing. As a result, we have decided to NOT rollout this change on 31st March ’23 for Jira Cloud.

This means, Browse projects permission will continue to work as it is, and the two new permissions won’t be introduced until further notice.

Meanwhile, this work is still a priority for us, and our team is evaluating all the questions and concerns mentioned in the comments. This process of evaluation will take a few more weeks. Following the evaluation, we will inform you about the revised timeline for rollout, well in advance.

Thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please drop them in the comments section. As mentioned earlier, please expect more communication on this in upcoming few weeks.

Thank you

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2023

OK great - thanks @Varad Pingale 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2023

Hi @Varad Pingale  - Thank you for the update.

What if you held a 30 minute Q&A session at Team '23 so people could question and interact?

Jacques March 27, 2023

Hey @Varad Pingale you might be looking into this much requested permissionSeparate Project permissions for Version Management... It's been there for ages and it's reaching 800 votes already.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events