Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Management Project vs Software Development Kanban Project

sheradyn.ford August 3, 2022

Hi All,

I'm trying to decide between setting up a Work Management project or a Software Dev Kanban project.

To help me with this decision, I'm trying to find out if it's possible to get the Work Management summary board for a Software Dev Kanban project OR (and from other posts I don't think this is currently possible) trying to get Quick Filters on a Work Management board as the fields I'd like to filter by aren't available in the filter options of the Work Management project board.

Just to add I've looked at the Activity/Statistics board and it provides some information but not in a nice digestible format.
I've also tried creating a summary dashboard, but couldn't summarize the data the same way as the Work Management project summary board.

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2022

Hi Sheradyn,

I usually resort to creating a second Jira Software board for my JWM project. Then I can do what I want with the board. But some caveats - you will need to add a link to the board in the shortcuts are of the menu on the left. And the built-in board can't be changed - it will still be the current one. To do that:

You will need to create a filter for the JWM project, something like Project = ABC ORDER by Rank ASC where ABC is the project key for your JWM project. Be sure to save the filter and share it. Or you can use an existing filter if one exists with the same issues in it.

Go to your list of boards and click on Create board

Choose either Kanban or Scrum

Choose create based on an existing Filter.

Then attach it to the new filter you just created.

For the Location field, you will not be able to use a Team-managed, Business, or JSM Project - only Classic Software projects. Or you can link to your profile - probably best in this case. But this will not keep the new board from working - it really only cares about the project(s) in the filter.
Then you are all set. You can modify the board as you need to.

Reminder - you will not be able to click on the Board option as normal for the project as that will take you to the built-in board. You will need add a shortcut on the left side menu and include a link to the new board.

0 votes
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2022

Hello @sheradyn.ford

Quick filters are currently not available for JWM boards and summary pages are currently not available for JSW projects.

If the factors you're considering are between the enhanced functionality of a JSW board v a JWM summary page, then I'd go with the JSW board. It will be beneficial for your team if they can filter the data down to what they need to do their work, and it sounds like the quick filters on a JSW board will help with that. 

That being said, it sounds like you made an attempt to recreate the summary dashboard available by default in JWM. 

If you hover over those top 4 gadgets on the summary page, the url will show you the filter that drives the statistic. For example, hovering over the "Done in the last 7 days" gadget has the query in the url as:

statusCategory = Done and statusCategoryChangedDate >= -1w

I'd recommend taking another stab at the dashboard route, I think you can get pretty close. Create a few filters that reflect the data you currently see on the summary page by looking at the URL (let me know if you need help using the above method).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events