Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permissions in Jira Work Management (using access)

Ken Young June 9, 2021

Hi. I am trying to determine if Jira Work Management(JWM) will support our use case.  We have a team of 40 non-developers that are trying to get off of MS Teams and Spreadsheets to manage "work" requests.  We are currently using Jira/JSM premium for our software teams.  We also have Access enable using OKTA for our org

I am trying to determine if JWM will work for this team so anyone in our org can "send" them work, but the internal team is the only group that has access to work the tickets, and close them.   There is the "anonymous" feature, but we want to limit access to creating tickets to only people in our org (not public), and use the information in Access to record who the requester is.   Thx

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

Hi Ken,

Not sure that I completely follow you, but I think we can get through a series of questions. 

And yes, I think you will be able to us JWM for that. 

1. Do the 40 people have Jira licenses already?

2. You can setup issue level security so that once a card is created, only certain people can see that card and make changes. 

3. You want to capture the Jira user who made the request (the reporter). 

Are we are on the right track? 

Ken Young June 9, 2021

We are trying to determine which product to use, so it is a bit vague.

• This is a business group, so for their internal workflows, JWM appears to be a good fit (no source control, no agile).  We would have to create a JWM project for them, and give them access to the product.
  • Our whole org is currently using JSM to submit helpdesk/software tickets, but their access licenses are free due to the licensing of Access/JSM.   Will they also be able to use the anonymous access in JWM to create requests/tickets for this non-software group?   

Thx

Ken

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

Do you want anonymous access? I am confused about that. 

And yes, it sounds like JWM is the right fit, especially if all of them already have Jira licenses. 

Ken Young June 9, 2021

This group of 40  currently doesn't have Jira Software licenses.  They are in Access today for the purposes of creating Service Management tickets. 

This would be a new product add for us for non-software development teams.

The reporters creating tickets would be employee's of our company, but not members of the team/group that works is being requested of.   They would not necessary have product access.   

One other requirement is that the reporters can upload documents to the team (usually spreadsheets).   

Like Bilawal Ali likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

Gotcha - all of that works with JWM. 

First, the 40 would need regular Jira licenses. 

Second, yes, the current employees would be able to create tickets for the project, but would be prevented from seeing the tickets once created. 

Third, only a Jira administrator can upload spreadsheets (CSVs) into Jira (which creates tickets). But that's a Jira rule across the board, not just for JWM. 

The good thing about JWM vs. JSM is that the users would not need the extra Agent licenses in order to work with the tickets. 

Like Jane Yeoh likes this
Ken Young June 9, 2021

Hi John,

Thank you for all of the answers.   A couple of more questions:

• The 40 wold need regular Jira licenses.  I am assuming you are talking the JWM licenses (which are cheaper than regular jira premium licenses)
  • The spreadsheets I was just talking about were digital assets, not to automatically created tickets.  This is a business process team the regularly takes in information from other teams, does some transformation for other groups, and then provides the information back to them.  It could have been PNG's if needed
  • Does JSM link to JWM?    I could see some benefits for teams that have a PM that manages and intake board, and the can transfer work (or use automation) to pass the work from JSM to a JWM project.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2021

Thank you @John Funk for helping out with Ken's questions! 

@Ken Young , I'm one of the Product Managers working for the Jira Work Management team. I'm sure you've found John's answers helpful!

If you're interested, I'd love to be able to run you through a quick demo of the product, and perhaps walk through some of your requirements and how JWM might be able to help you with what you need.

Feel free to contact me directly via email: jyeoh@atlassian.com and we can set some time up to go through any more questions you might have about JWM. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2021

Thanks for the input @Jane Yeoh ! And Ken you should definitely take her up on that offer.  :-)

But a few more answers.

1. The users will only need Jira Core licenses. If you already have Jira software, those would be the level you need. And you can't carry a combination of some being premium and some not. So, all of that being said, you will just need to get more licenses of what you already have - whether it is premium or not. But you don't need Premium if you don't already have it. 

2. So it just sounds like you would be uploading an attachment to an existing issue. That works fine. 

3. Yes, you can link JSM and JWM. We do that through Automation rules. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events